Mild Electric Shock from Powermatic 3520b

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

trickydick

I am suddenly receiving a mild electric shock from all metal surfaces when my lathe is turned on. If the speed is at 0, no shock, at any speed, mild shock.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

If you are the handy type, make sure the outlet it's plugged into has a good ground in it. Then, check the cord for fraying. Also check the plug on the end of the power cord. If any of those things are wonky, repair it before using again.

It may be a wire has come loose inside the switch & is hitting the frame somewhere inside the junction box. Make sure to unplug the lathe from the wall before checking out anything.

If you have a electrical meter, you can check for voltage between a known ground & the frame of the lathe.

Gary Beasley

Might also check assuming its 110v that the hot and neutral wires have not been reversed somewhere in the circuit. Also be sure your house wiring has not been compromised with loose or burnt connections.

Marmotjr

Simplest way to check the circuit is good is to plug the lathe into another outlet (preferably on a different breaker if possible). If you still get a shock, then it's almost guaranteed to be the lathe. Of course, this still involves getting a shock.

I find it unlikely that the circuit suddenly decided to rewire itself, but it is possible, as mentioned.

But since it only happens when the motor is turning, I'd guess there's a short somewhere in the lathe.

jttheclockman

Rick it is not the house current or else the breaker would be tripping. Sounds like a loose ground or neutral wire probably in the control wiring or control board. Could be a simple find or a difficult one if it is in a solder connection. Not familar with the lathe so I do not know the control of speed and how this accomplished. But start there. Remember to disconnect before opening any boxes.

Top Bottom