MidWest Penturning Gathering 2007

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Whether 8 or 80 attend, this is a go. It will be held at the Urbana Park District Phillips Center in Urbana Illinois. There is plenty of dining within a 10 minute drive not to mention catered food will be available on site. For those who will need lodging, Champaign-Urbana has more than enough, that is unless the University of Illinois has something going on then I guess you could pitch a tent in my backyard!! I will compile a list. As for the event, there will be plenty of room even if 200+ show up as I can add more space as need arises. I would like to schedule some live demonstrations, which a few have said they would do. There will be more than enough space for personal displays plus a "swap meet". I will be contacting various suppliers to see if I can possibly get some donations/sponsorships for door prizes. I would also like to have a few silent auctions to benefit both The Pen Shop and IAP boards. And all this at no charge except for auctions, "swap meet", and the catered food which will be cooked on site. I must add that in no way will I assume any responsibility for any monies spent in any amount at this event!!!

I need to get an idea of when. I am thinking possibly late February or early March 2007. It will be on a Saturday and hours should be 9am till 4pm. What say ye?!!!

I have had a couple who have emailed me expressing interest in helping to see this become a reality. Yahoo graciously lost several of my archived emails so please contact me again. Also, if anyone else has any interest in this endeavor, please feel free to email me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I'm still interested. It's way to early at this point to tell if I can be there. For me, it's best if you to pick a date that works for you and if it works for me I'll be there.

I have a step daughter in Lincoln at college so maybe Mom can go see her that day while I spin in Champaign/Urbana. EDIT--> I made the remark about Famous Dave's, then went back and read about the food being catered in - ignore it <-- <<<Can we eat at Famous Dave's?>>>

cozee

Originally posted by hilltopper46
<br />I'm still interested. It's way to early at this point to tell if I can be there. For me, it's best if you to pick a date that works for you and if it works for me I'll be there.

I have a step daughter in Lincoln at college so maybe Mom can go see her that day while I spin in Champaign/Urbana. EDIT--&gt; I made the remark about Famous Dave's, then went back and read about the food being catered in - ignore it &lt;-- &lt;&lt;&lt;Can we eat at Famous Dave's?&gt;&gt;&gt;

Yeah, you can eat at Famous Dave's if ya want. Or Smokey Bones. Or a couple other "Q" joints. But I got to tell ya, the pulled pork and ribs that will be on the menu you will not soon forget!! With sauces that range from mild to wild. I personally like the dry rubbed ribs!! If there is one thing I like more than turning pens is eating good food! We might even throw some of my own seafood stuffed jalapeno poppers on the grill!!

low_48

Count me in! I would also like to reserve a table for the swap meet. I can demo 1)corn cob pens, 2)a lecture/demo on finding, cutting, and drying wood blanks, 3)double dovetail pens, 4)laser engraving if there was enough interest. For that I would have to roll the 250 pound machine in the van with the computer and bring it over. It's pretty cool to watch though. I'll ask the Peoria Woodcraft Store and The Woodworker's Shop in Pekin, IL if they would like to participate. I'll help as much as I can.

I would also suggest that it would be a good idea for donations for The Freedom Pen Project. If everybody brought 5 or 6 pens to be sent to the troops, it would be great.

Rich

rgundersen

Not that I would likely make it up from Houston, though my family would love for me to end up in the area for no reason other than to see them, but as for food... Papa Dels Pizza !!!! ( not sure on spelling been a long time...)

-Robert

cozee

Was discussing this a bit more today with my son-in-law. We were mainly talking about the legalities of holding a raffle and silent auctions being it is going to be held in a Park District building. But from there his light turned on and since this is a craft related event, it may well something that the Park District might be interested in supporting, especially since it is going to be held in one of thier buildings. This could mean free advertising by the local media: TV, radio, newspaper, and interior bus ads since this particular park distirct is really into public interest events. He said he would be discussing this with his superiors in the near future.

Ron Mc

Well Greg,
It looks like I need to find a map to see exactly how long it would take to get there! [;)]

cozee

I'm working out details. Things are looking good so far. I have been thinking of doing a clear polyester resin group buy for those who will be attending. I can get a 55 gallon drum (EP4101) from Eager Plastics in Chicago which is near enough that I can pick it up and save some on shipping. Rough calculations are estimated to be around $18-19 per gallon including the catalyst but should come in a little lower per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom