Microwave drying question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
[:eek:)] [:I] [xx(] A bit of advice - until you are totally used to this procedure, set the MW on low or use it for 30 seconds, let it set/cool for 5 minutes, 30 to 45 seconds again, let it cool. I actually got one piece to smoking once and it wasn't steam. The soft wood was turning black. Did that on a corn cob too! I am a slow learner.

BTW, my suggestion is without using anchorseal!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's nothing, Hank. I set a piece of white oak on fire in the microwave...and darned near couldn't put it out. I abide by the 30 second rule myself. [8D]

joeatact

I dry wood in the micro wave all the time. Use the defrost setting for 2 or 3 minutes at a time and let cool. Place wood on paper towel. I do it a couple of times a day for usually three days and I get it down to where I want the moister content.

53Jim

One thing the others haven't mentioned, weigh the wood before you start the microwave process. Weigh it, nuke it, cool it, weigh it, nuke it, coll it, etc. etc.
When the weight stays the same you <u>should</u> be ready to rock and roll, or drill and turn, whatever trips your trigger.

I also have had wood start on fire in the microwave. Strangely enough it was<u> flame</u> box elder.

Dario

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />Will using a microwave for drying wood harm the microwave, or render it unsafe for use with food?

Bonefish

I had a couple microwave go bad on me and I think it is because of the acid in the wood. Once it get to your electronic circuits your MW is toast. I've read about it too somewhere a long time ago but can't recall where.

I actually put the wood pieces now in plastic bag while nuking and let the steam out - OUTSIDE the microwave.

Gary Max

Useing your Mic for drying blanks can be very hard on the Mic.
The smell alone can be a bear plus Dario point about just outright killing the Mic.
Make sure your wife knows what you are planning on doing---hate to see you sleeping in the dog house[:D]

BigRob777

Greg,
I am drying some persimmon in the dishwasher. I'm not lying either, but it's outside and has been renamed Rob's Kiln.[:D] No anchorseal, or you'll end up with a waxy mess in your micro. It might even light up, if your wood burns. Have fun.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom