Microwave drying - My results.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

I just wanted to share my results with everyone so far.

I have Masur Birch slab that i've been anxious to turn into blanks, but I was told it was quite wet when I purchased it.

I cut 2 blanks from it, 1 "1/2 blank", (Natural edge), and one full blank.

Initial weights were:

30.7g and 38.5g

after 11 zaps of 30 seconds on power 20 (Defrost), with 15 mins between to cool off; their weights are:

29.7g and 37.3g each.

SO, it does work...

I don't think I'm done yet, so I will keep going till it stops decreasing. So far, there's not been any distortion, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! and they definitely FEEL drier :party:

My question is, i guess, loosing a gram of water (~3%) doesn't seem like that much... is it? (I don't have a moisture meter)

I may have a while to go.

Any and all comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

When I have dried things in the nuker, I have kept going until one of two things happens. 1. It cracks. 2. It no longer loses weight. Your process seems sound by what I do when I am drying. Keep going until 1 or 2 happens.

Lulanrt

I have had good luck with Microwave drying. I stick it in on high and keep an eye on it for two min, than take it out and cool it off. Place back in the microwave for another two min. I keep doing this until the steam no longer comes out of the ends. If the wood is to wet it will blow up with a big pop and a split. So it needs to be somewhat dry before starting. That's been my experience with this process anyway. Good luck
Travis

Dario

Just be careful to watch your heat on the blanks... they will smolder a bit if they get too hot... DAMHIKT

Depending on the wood specie (like mesquite)...the smoke can be very strong too. DAMHIKT too. :biggrin:

From experience, I use full power but adjust the time depending on qty of blanks. Just make sure the wood doesn't boil/steam (warm to the touch but not hot) and you will be okay.

I experimented and noticed that I can stretch that a bit more by putting the batch in a plastic bag (closed). It will poof up and you can see "sweat" inside the bag. Aerate outside the MW AND outside the bag as it cools down...then repeat.

BTW, I usually put the blacks stacked on a plastic plate before putting inside the bag. :wink:

Lulanrt

My wife has pointed out more times than once that the microwave will smell like whatever wood you are cooking. A plate under the wood is a good point to sometimes you get some strange stuff that comes out.
Travis

rjwolfe3

I would think there might be, I know that it is recommended to use a separate toaster oven/oven for drying pr and for powdercoating. I would also not want to suffer the wrath of the wife when she comes home and finds out what you did, lol.

guts

Lulanrt,I thing I would take the one I've been drying blanks in to the shop and buy a new one for the house,sure don't want to make yourself sick.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I just wanted to share my results with everyone so far.

I have Masur Birch slab that i've been anxious to turn into blanks, but I was told it was quite wet when I purchased it.

I cut 2 blanks from it, 1 "1/2 blank", (Natural edge), and one full blank.

Initial weights were:

30.7g and 38.5g

after 11 zaps of 30 seconds on power 20 (Defrost), with 15 mins between to cool off; their weights are:

29.7g and 37.3g each.

SO, it does work...

I don't think I'm done yet, so I will keep going till it stops decreasing. So far, there's not been any distortion, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! and they definitely FEEL drier :party:

My question is, i guess, loosing a gram of water (~3%) doesn't seem like that much... is it? (I don't have a moisture meter)

I may have a while to go.

Any and all comments welcome.

Mike, the trick is not just to get the water loose in the blank; you actually have to get the blank to lose the water. :biggrin::biggrin:

Dario

Back to my old posts again.

I read that wood sap is mostly acidic. These acids will evaporate with the water when microwaving and MAY damage your MW electronics. One reason why I wrap mine in plastic now and aerate outside.

Not sure if it is coincidence but one of my MW conked out fast after MWving wood blanks. I bought the Mrs a new one and got me 2 FREE shop MW from Craigslist. :biggrin:

Rick_G

I do my blanks 3 minutes on defrost setting and then at least an hour to cool off before doing it again. I do have a cheap moisture meter so when it drops below 8% I'm done. I have had a few warp so I cut them a little oversize before drying. After the first one smoldered the wife strongly suggested I get my own for the shop which I now have. I've run several hundred blanks through it now and at $40 it's paid for itself I think.

Top Bottom