Micromesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I need to buy some more MM and I just can't see spending 18.00 on the 2" square pads. Is there a better buy somewhere else out there?

EDIT:
Let me also ask, what is the lifespan of the 2" MM pads - I've done up about 8 pens and a couple finial boxes using it, have I already worn it out or should I expect I can use it more?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

It might sound a lot now but after using it for years...you will realize it is a very cheap investment.

Where are you buying BTW?

jimbob91577

Was looking at Bear Tooth Woods...They have about 60.00 worth of other stuff that I want...

randyrls

Several places sell cloth backed sheets that are about 3" x 6". Cut the sheets into strips about 3/4" x 6" It will last a long time, and when it starts to get "tired", put it in the washer in a net bag. Don't dry it though. Some put it in the pocket of a pair of jeans or pants.

woody350ep

at woodpenpro you can get 3x4 foam pads for 17.50. Cut em in half and have 2 sets of 2x3 for 8.75 each.

Oh, and I think you burned through your set or something. 8 pens and a couple of other items should not be nearly enough to wear them out. They should last quite some time. are you using a lot of pressure? That may be the problem. That creates heat and would melt the MM.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sorry, just realized you said the pads:

MICROMESH SOFT TOUCH VARIETY PACK
$16.95
MICRO34
Nine 3"x4" pads with abrasive applied to both sides.
1500 to 12,000 grit. Color Chart provided to identify grits.
Click on image for larger view a more details about kit.

Tn-Steve

You can wash the pads too. I just put them in a little mesh bag when I did the laundry and pulled them out, laid them on a paper towel to dry, like I do when I wet sand. They came out like new, and smelled mountain fresh to boot.

Steve

PaulDoug

I have the 3X6 sheet that I've used on 60+ pens. The sheets and pads should last a long time. I wet sand and keep it moving. Heat will melt it.

jimbob91577

Okay, so it sounds like I haven't burned through my set yet. I'm not worried about heat, and I don't use a lot of pressure, rather, I let the lathe do most of the work.

My biggest concern was that I've worn the abrasive off of them, but perhaps the're just dirty and need cleaned.

So far WoodenPenPro seems like the best buy - $18 for more than 2 times what i have now...

Thanks for the help...

mitchm

I also get all my MM from WoodTurningz. Their prices are great as is the service from Ryan and Fritz. As with most of the postings here I cut the sheets and 3"x4" pads into strips. After a days use, a quick blow with compressed air, place them in a old stocking and a cycle in the washing maching gets them back to new and smelling kinda nice.

Their prices are $12.95 for the 3"x6" sheets or 2"x2" pads and $17.95 for the 3"x4" pads. Here is a link if you want to take a look: http://www.woodturningz.com/Finishing_Supplies.aspx

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Woodcraft sells a 6" diameter round hook and loop version of MM that can be put on a RO sander, but are nice to use by hand. It sells for a similar price to the 2x2 pads and has twice the available surface area of a double sided 2x2.

nava1uni

I have had mine for over a year and have probably used them on over 100+ pens, stoppers, salt and pepper shakers and they are still good. I wash them in a small plastic container by hand with just a little agitation, rinse them and let them dry on a paper towel. If you apply too much pressure you will burn through the MM, which leave a white strip on the pad and a gray strip on your turning. I usually use water unless it is plain wood. If it is just a wooden finish, no CA, I sand to 600 grit then use either a brown grocery bag or wood shavings to burnish the surface before applying my finish.

Top Bottom