micromesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gc

where is a good place or order micromesh on the internet? I would like to purchase a small amount as a trial. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

driften

http://www.micro-surface.com seems like a good place to get it direct from the MFG and seems to be
cheeper then the woodworking supply places.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Check these folks out as well. When I bought mine ( I still have my originals), they had the best prices on the net. http://www.internationalviolin.com/main.cfm?custompage=micro_mesh

JimGo

GC, also check out your local Woodcraft. They have a $15 or so kit with smaller pieces of most of the different grit types.

Woodnknots

Check out this website. I got my original kit from Woodcraft, but couldn't see paying that price when I wore out my MM kit. I bought from this site, with a minimum order of $25, but you get a LOT of it, compared to anyone else I've seen.

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_sheets.htm

wayneis

The cheapest that you will find is the Violin Company that DC wrote about, $4.00 per 6x12sheet. Micro-surface is $6.75 and sisweb is $8.70 per 6x12 sheet.

Wayne

glm1157

I bought the set of MM soft touch pads from Woodcraft that I'm very happy with. Someday I'll need to replace them. How do the sheets compare to the pads?

Thanks,

Gary

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />Check out this website. I got my original kit from Woodcraft, but couldn't see paying that price when I wore out my MM kit. I bought from this site, with a minimum order of $25, but you get a LOT of it, compared to anyone else I've seen.

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_sheets.htm

International Violin is half the price for the 6x12 sheets... of course if you need a 4"x50' roll of MM this is the place to go...
Let's see... IAP BULK BUY on MM... LOL .. I ain't cutting and packaging... LOL

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill B at AS has a nice deal for 7 3x6" sheets for $10.50 http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Craft_Supplies_USA_Pen_Kits5.htm

wayneis

Tom, which two grits does Mr Bill leave out, 1500 & 1800? I know that people say that the 1500 if the same as 400 grit in the regular sand paper but from my experence I don't find that to be true. I sand up to and includeing 400 grit with sand paper and then go to 1500 MM thru 12000. There is a visable difference from the 400 to the 1500. When I do the 1500 the blank actually starts to get the shine. So I guess that what I'm saying is that, to me anyway, its important to get and use all of the MM sheets or whatever. IMHO

Wayne

Daniel

Mac, Suprisingly I had not thought of it. How about some feedback. If I where to get the full sheets and cut them up. what size would you want them to be cut into? Keep in mind the only pads I see so far are 1X3. this woudl require a 3X3 piece of MM to wrap around even 3 sides of the block.
I am looking for the padded back sheets but can't find them.
Also I woudl only offer the 9 grit set 1500-12000. this is a personal rule. in my opinion MM is the finest sandpaper made. but often gets a bad rap from vendors that are not selling the entire line of grits. there is a reason for 1500 and a reason for every other grit in the lineup. other wise why should we bother with 220 grit sandpaper and just go straight to 600 and be finished with it. I know opinions from visually compairing the results vary. I also know that other turners that have bought these sets are less than satisfied. I also noticed sets that are specific for acrylics and Plastics, as well as Corian and hard surface materials. would there be an interest in these specialized sets as well? e-mail or respond here.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you can beat International Violin's price, I'm always up for a bargain. I agree about needing the whole set. One other thought. I'm still using my originals from September, so I don't think re-orders would be very frequent. Still, newbies would find it a valuable service.

Daniel

International Violin's price is $4.00 for a 6X12 sheet. cutting that into 8-3X3 pices makes each piece .50 or a set $4.50 add .80 for a 1X3 block plus whatever shipping will be is going to be in the neighborhood of $6.00 per set. postage and an envelope is going to be at least anouther buck so say $7.00-$7.50 per set to be on the high side at least.
the soft touch sets Jeff mentions above are the ones that have padded backs I think. let me know if I am wrong Jeff. so not really getting into any savings with this. and that is the best scenario I can find so far.
I have 1X3 pieces I glued to old mouse pads. not so sure I am thrilled with the results so far. it works but is just a bit cheezy. and the MM does want to come loose from time to time. like that I could do sets for
$1.50 each plus shipping. and mail them in paper envelopes for .38 looks like around $2.00 each at the worst. you would have to supply your own mouse pad and glue.

Daniel,
If International Violin is selling a 6X12 sheet they are getting it directly from the manufacturer that way. Why would you want to worry with cutting them up? Let the purchaser cut, not cut, glue to pad or not glue to pad as he or she wishes.

Could the manufacturer be approached directly? If members here would buy a set of 6X12 sheets, all grits, and you added that all together and went direct, there may be a savings that way. Likely have to round up to what ever their package quantity of a grit is. Especially if the manufacturer was buttered up a little about the IAP and the exposure of their products to pen turners, that they otherwise may not get. They could throw in a handful of advertising literature that would go to each member that purchased, something along those lines.

Daniel

Mac,
Cutting up bigger sheets is sort of at the heart of a bulk buy. the main idea is to buy one sheet and split it up as many ways as possible and still have usable pieces. on person in the poll thread even listed 3X6 pieces as there preference. might as well buy it directly at those sizes.
I did go to Micro Surfaces sight to check real bulk prices. a 6"X25' roll is $110.00 this breaks down to .55 per 3X3 inch piece. 1.10 per 6X3 etc.
the bad news is this requires 200 3X3kits requested and an outlay of nearly $1000.00 sort of out of the ballpark. and I still have to cut up 225 feet of micro mesh. I could break it down to the square inch and let people order whatever widths they want. all in all that is not looking real good. otherwise $4.00 per sheet from international violin is the best price per sheet regardless of how they came to that price.

Daniel

SO far the best idea I see in all of it is simply ordering the 2X2 or 3X4 soft touch pads directly from Micro Surfaces. they are 1 and 2 dollars each respectivly.

JimGo

Daniel,
I added an actual poll to the polls forum for this (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5078 ). Hopefully this will give us a better feel for how many people will be interested.

Daniel

Well Guys, according to what I have seen so far as set of 6X12 sheets is the prefered size. that being the case International Violin is the place to buy your Micro Mesh.
I contacted Micro Surfaces to see if I can get a discount or anything, but baring that to buy a set of 6"X25' rolls and devide it 25 ways makes the sets $39.60 each. this is not counting shipping or postage costs. you can get a full set from I.V. for $36 plus whatever shipping is. Buying 50 foot rolls doesn't help much either. and 12"X25 foot rolls are exactly the same price. the price overall is not dropping all that much even for such lare rolls. for a 25 foot roll you are only saving $63.00 over the single sheet price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom