micro mesh question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim Hughes37

I've been using the micro mesh pads for my pens. I use water with the pads when sanding. I'm going to be switching from foam backed pads to micro mesh strips in the near future. I recently heard, but can't remember the details, that some use something other than water. Any ideas on what you think is best for a finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Other than a little dishwashing soap in the water. The water keeps the abrasives from loading up and clogging and causing little scratches. It prolongs the life of your abrasive sheets as well. I dont know that BLO (boiled linseed oil) or anything else will do a better job.

Mark

Water probably helps keep the blank & MM pad from heating up quickly too.

I can't recall seeing any other liquid recommended.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I use a light wiping of Renaissance wax - what wax I can get on my finger by wiping it across the wax. It does the same thing as water and there is no chance of water getting under the finish at the ends of the pen barrells and making a cloudy finish, or ruining the finish by expanding the wood. It doesn't make any difference with plastics.

George7

I use mineral spirits when I wet sand pen finishes. I prefer not to drip water on the lathe because I am afraid I won't get everything properly dried and the ways will rust.

Top Bottom