Micro Mesh on the cheap!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I know this was posted before, but I thought it might be useful to re-post as this will save quite a bit of money on your shop supplies. I ordered MM from www.internationalviolin.com in Baltimore, MD. They carry all of the meshes from 1500 through 12000. Their sheets are 6X12 and a sheet of each ran $35.10, postage and handling included. It arrived in 2 days, of course I live nearby, so USPS may take a bit longer to get to you. I use the paper cutter at my local Kinko's to cut it to size...the manager loves it because it sharpens his cutter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Speaking of MM , , I have been using my original pieces of micromesh and they are getting pretty cruddy looking (for lack of a better expression).
I have been told that they can be washed. Any special washing instructions a person should be aware of. Soapy water and then rinse?
What about the grit numbers on the back side. Are they colorfast enough that I wont have to do a guessing game about which is which after washing?
W.Y.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't know about washing it, Bill, but when I cut down these oversized pieces, I make em with a sharpie...no worries after that!

NCTurner

Bill,

yes, you can wash them. Probably easiest to just throw in your pants' pocket when you do the regular laundry (individual sheets). Or you can wash them in the sink with regular liquid detergent. You shouldn't have a problem with the grit number disappearing.

However, I put a piece of denim up by my lathe, and simply wipe the MM across it each time before using it......works great, and really does an excellent job of cleaning the MM! Never have to wait for it to dry, and it's always ready to use. Just an option to consider.

Originally posted by William Young
<br />Speaking of MM , , I have been using my original pieces of micromesh and they are getting pretty cruddy looking (for lack of a better expression).
I have been told that they can be washed. Any special washing instructions a person should be aware of. Soapy water and then rinse?
What about the grit numbers on the back side. Are they colorfast enough that I wont have to do a guessing game about which is which after washing?
W.Y.

G

I gave up trying to remember the grits.
I labeled them 1-9 with a permanent marker.
I went to the mm site or somewherre I got the equivalent grit numbers and printed that out.
I have that taped to a cabinet in the shop.
I 1-9 makes it easier for me and it's easy to tell if one is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom