micro mesh for Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fxst00

Do you guys use your same micro mesh pads that you use for wood blanks on Acrylic blanks?
I see that they sell some pads for Acrylic and pads for wood and am just curious as to what y'all use.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We use the same MM, but we don't use the pads we use the 3" x 6" sheets. We will cut them in half so we hae two sets of 3" x 4". This way we can wash one set if they need it and not have to wait for them to dry when using it on wood. If it is acrylic then we use them wet anyway followed by Novus.

Mike & Linda

Chasper

I use the same set of MM pads for everything.

It helps to run them through the washing machine once in a while, kind of brings them back to life. I just leave them in the pocket of my jeans when they need washing, my wife has a strict rule about not checking pockets. The jeans come back clean and the clean MM pads are still in the pocket.

Chasper

I'm more of an artist than an engineer so I admit I'm not good at some things, but I can't figure out how to cut a 3 x 6 sheet in half and get two 3 x 4 sheets.

fxst00

Thanks for the fast responses guys. I appreciate it.

and Chasper- my wife has a habbit of leaving things in her pocket. (years of being a youth director and working with kids) she could never carry a purse so she would wash every thing from money to reciepts. I broke her of that by saying what ever is found in the washer or dryer belongs to the person who finds it. So she got some change off me and one time I hit the mother load and found three hundred dollars that belonged to the church she worked for. I learned a new rull of marraige (8 months), Rules don't apply when she loses. [B)]

Thanks again guys

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Chasper
<br />I'm more of an artist than an engineer so I admit I'm not good at some things, but I can't figure out how to cut a 3 x 6 sheet in half and get two 3 x 4 sheets.

Gerry I can tell you it is either Kentucky math or an Hoosier typo![:p]

Mikey

I have a different set of MM sheets for wood and acrylic. The acrylic ones are used exclusively for wet sanding and they are my oldest ones. I also use these for wet sanding my Enduro, or now Unaxol finishes. I don't use these on wood because of color or stain transfer.

The ones I use on wood I am very careful with so I don't get any cross contamination of color from wood to wood, or bushing to wood.

When I do acrylic, I only MM through maybe 3 or 4k MM and then I pull out the Beall buffing shaft. The Beall is far faster and the shine is unbelievable.

Daniel

I was told a long time ago that MM was made for polishing Plexiglass. So sort of leaves wood the odd ball material to use it on.

Mikey

Originally posted by fxst00
<br />but Mikey wouldn't you get a better shine if you MM all the way to 12k then used the Beall?
Jeff

I used to go to 12k and then use auto polish until I bought the Beall setup. The white compound is basically the same as using a very fine sandpaper. What's nice about buffing is that you can get into the beads and other designs easily and make everything shine nicely.

Heck, when I use both polishing compounds, I can sand with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper (wet) and then pop it right on the buffer. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Mikey

Yes, the first two polish and make the pen very shiny and slick. Sometimes I do the wax, but not normally as it makes the pen feel less slick. Plus, you really don't need the wax and if the pen needs polishing, you can mask off the hardware and carefully polish again.

Mikey

Yes, the first two polish and make the pen very shiny and slick. Sometimes I do the wax, but not normally as it makes the pen feel less slick. Plus, you really don't need the wax and if the pen needs polishing, you can mask off the hardware and carefully polish again.

Jeff,
I use the MM pads on my acrylics.. probably because that's what I started with and I wet sand with them.. I haven't used the beale system to polish yet.. but plan on trying it next time I'm in pen mode.. I'm a bit overstocked with pens so right now I'm doing Turkey calls for some shows this coming month.. I get a very good shine using the pads. I have been doing final finish with the HUT plastic polish and have good luck with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom