Micro Fractures? and material Id

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

This pat weekend I turned a blank that I have no idea what the material is. It smelled almost fruity, but not super tasty fruity, as I turned it and drilled it. Bought it from someone here in a variety box and it was not labeled as to material. Any idea what it might be?

The reason I am asking is when all was said and done, polished up and assembled, I noticed cracks inside the blank where it was drilled. They run parallel with the drilled hole.

I drilled about an 8th of an inch each time then cleaned it out. This has not been a problem before, but it is definitely a new material for me. Drill bit was a brand new bullet point bit.

Any idea what happened, and how would I avoid this in the future?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I agree with Ed, there's several woods that have a reputation for cracking for various reasons and a picture showing the color and grain would certainly help everyone in identifying it.

NC Wood Art

It wood was super dry it may have been to fast drilling? But with step drilling should not have caused any spliting, maybe blank was already cracked before drilling.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with Ed, there's several woods that have a reputation for cracking for various reasons and a picture showing the color and grain would certainly help everyone in identifying it.

Funny how MUCH it will help!!!! I read his description and "heard" resin blank---you "heard" wood. After reading again--it COULD be either:confused::confused::confused:

Haynie

It was a plastic substance not wood. Sorry for being vague. I can't get a pic to load to save my life. I will try again tomorrow if tonight does not work.

Since the computer that had PS on it went down I have not been successful at all posting pics.

76winger

Funny how MUCH it will help!!!! I read his description and "heard" resin blank---you "heard" wood. After reading again--it COULD be either:confused::confused::confused:

I thought about that as I was writing my reply, but I thought the "fruity" was more likely a wood than a resin. But what do I know some of these casters may be adding scents to the darn things too!

76winger

It was a plastic substance not wood. Sorry for being vague. I can't get a pic to load to save my life. I will try again tomorrow if tonight does not work.

Since the computer that had PS on it went down I have not been successful at all posting pics.

I know others have different methods, but what works best for me is to upload my pictures to members photo albums first, then I can use the images link to the right of the message area to add them in.

We look forward to seeing something!

Haynie

I know how the crack at the center band happened, I dropped it. You can see the other cracks if you look close. Not a very good pick sorry.

Attachments

• DSC_0118.jpg
    DSC_0118.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 168

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Mark, here's my GUESS!!

Looks like you are seeing the scratches inside the hole that you drilled. This is fairly normal on blanks that are not terribly opaque. The way to avoid this is to paint the inside of the hole, before putting in the brass tubes.

If you want even BETTER, use Pam or some other cooking spray or a dishwashing detergent in water to cool the bit while you drill--minimizes the drill marks.

Even BETTER, for perfectionists, sand the inside of the hole THEN paint. Remember if you do this, keep the hole pretty close tolerance when you drill, cause the sanding will make it wider, then the painting will make it narrower, and it's confusing until you do it a few times!!

Hope this helps,
Ed

Haynie

I sanded and then painted the inside of the tube. I also painted the tubes. I am at a loss. My other plastic type blanks did not smell like this so I am certain it is a different material. I will try the pam thing if I run across it again. Just wish I knew what material it was.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe, from what I can see that the material is inlace acrylester. It looks like a color I turned a lot---a gorgeous blue, called "pretty blue" if I recall correctly.

Very "chippy" but GREAT colors.

Some of the dyes have interesting smell---I recall vividly, the purple smelled like grapes. Don't recall the blue, but not a surprise!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey, I'm allowed to answer that one!!! Woodturningz was the source!! I have no connection with them!!!!

Say hi to Ryan and Fritz!! They used to be active members here!!

Haynie

Not acrylester. I just stumbled across it on the wood craft site. It is acrylic. Would those still be scratches?

okiebugg

photo insertion

76Winger.....would you give me a more thorough explanation of putting photos in member photographs and then transferring to a thread? It would be greatly appreciated.....Jimmy

Top Bottom