Micarta?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let me start by saying I do NOT want to be argumentative!!! And I thought about doing this in a PM, but decided that there is educational value in this subject, no matter where it may lead.

Micarta appears to be a registered trademark. Can we purchase it in liquid form for casting? Is there a way to create a blank that is "micarta"?

I appreciate all help, here and please do NOT take shots at people who have made this claim. I just want to know if it is possible to find the "wet" stuff for us to cast our own "micarta" blanks.

Thanks for constructive input!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I looked this one up... As I didn't have a clue. Wikipedia has a bit about it and mentions the trademark.

My question would be - how feasible would this be even if we could figure out the resin? It says that this is a high temp, high pressure process?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Ed - Micarta belongs to the phenolic family of polymers - similar to bakelite - and I doubt that is can be poured and cast. I do have about 5 pounds each of red, green and black phenolic resin granules that can be molded, but it takes a heated press and some molds to make it work. In the finished state, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these and Micarta. I was able to make a few short pieces with a set-up we have at work but have yet to successfully make pen size blanks. PM me if you want some of the granules or a small test piece.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dean,

I tried a few sites (not Wiki) and found they seem to have the circled R, showing registered trademark.

But, I am always willing to learn. MAYBE there is a source for registered trademark, Micarta goop!!!!!

Still looking for input!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bruce,

While the granules would be pretty, I'm sure, this "pressure" issue always bothers me.

Can I just have Dawn sit on them, while she watches television??? Or will she have to have some cement blocks on her lap???

alphageek

Former Moderator
Bruce,

While the granules would be pretty, I'm sure, this "pressure" issue always bothers me.

Can I just have Dawn sit on them, while she watches television??? Or will she have to have some cement blocks on her lap???

In my best Gomer Pyle voice ..."ohhhh your gonna pay for that one."

Chasper

I don't know anything that you could not find on the first few pages of a google search, but what I do know includes this:
The registered trademark currently belongs to an Iowa company named Norplex. There are competitors making a comparable product known as phenolic sheet. In both cases they use a common phenolic resin and heat cure/laminate it with canvas and other fabrics (or paper and many other materials). You probably already know the problem with thermo set plastics like phenolic resins, you can't just heat them up and pour them into a mold, you have to put them inside of a closed mold and then apply heat and pressure. If you were to cast a block of phenolic resin without the fabric reinforcement, you could accurately call it Bakelite (invited by Leo Baekeland in 1907).

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bruce,

She'll probably need the cement blocks and then some, but if she reads this, I'm sure she will be "hot" enough to melt and cure them. Needs about 350 F for about 5-15 minutes and a couple of tons of pressure.

And for no extra, a little trivia. Most of these phenolic resins, including my stuff, have a little wood flour for filler which I think means you can bake them in your oven:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Oh, she's a "hot number" alright, but 350 is a little unlikely ------- during the WINTER!

So, we wait until Spring!!

cowchaser

jhs494

Ed,
I did a search on Mcmaster Carr's website and typed in Micarta. We have used this when rebuilding machine tools. The search came back with a product named Garolite which I will assume that this is another manufacturers name for it. They didn't have a liquid or resin but loads of other forms. Sheet, rod, squares, strips. Thye also have an adhesive for it.
My two cents.
Good luck. It has a funky odor when machining it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice links, Dustin! It seems to me that the process he used should work with PR as long as you work fast enough to fill a mold with resin soaked pieces of whatever you choose to use.

Trust me, after Dawn is acquitted for drawing and quartering Ed, she will likely show us the way to make some fascinating blanks.

PenWorks

Ed, I have made some Mircarta pens years ago and would not call it an ideal material for pens. I thought it to be brittle and prone to cracking easily. JMO
I bought it from a knife supply shop.

Top Bottom