Mia Pradoo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemaker

From time to time, I see this wood offered on ebay, but have been unable to find any information on it's characteristics.

Has anyone used this wood?

Thanks

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From http://www.thailandtradenet.com/rosewood-furniture.htm#Rosewood
Latin Name "Pterocarpus Macrocarpus Kurz". Synonyms: Burmese rosewood, Burma padauk, Asian rosewood. Family: Magnoliopsida - Rosidae - Fabales - Leguminosae. Density 0.56 to 0.80. Application: furniture, door frames, cabinet-making, railways and bridges. Source: Burma, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Durability: Excellent. Rosewood is a hardwood bright red in color, deepening in time to a very deep red. Usually fairly dense and heavy, coarse textured, with prominent open pores. Density varies as a result of growing conditions, generally machines well regardless of density. Burma leads Asia in forest management and conservation with most of her original forest still in tact. Nearly all of the Burmese timbers are taken from large managed plantation areas still employing very traditional extraction methods such as elephant logging, ensuring the least disturbance to the surrounding flora and fauna. Burma is famous for it's variety of hardwoods. These are Padauk (Burmese Rosewood) Teak and Pyinkado just to name a few.
A large number of folks have turned padauk. I'll dig out a pic if I can find a pen I've made from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom