Metric headstock threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I have a MiniMax T124 Italian made industrial lathe. Most of the stuff I use on it is Morse taper #2. I have a threaded Multi Star chuck and I remember when I ordered it it had a non-standard thread but it was a stock item. I was just about to order a PSI collet set in order to do blank drilling on the lathe and was figuring out the headstock threads - but I don't know how to find out for sure.

One online reference says the thread is M30x3.5 and I measure the exterior diameter at the top of the threads at 3cm. If so it wont take standard thread on stuff and that kind of sucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tree Frog

I have a MiniMax T124 Italian made industrial lathe. Most of the stuff I use on it is Morse taper #2. I have a threaded Multi Star chuck and I remember when I ordered it it had a non-standard thread but it was a stock item. I was just about to order a PSI collet set in order to do blank drilling on the lathe and was figuring out the headstock threads - but I don't know how to find out for sure.

One online reference says the thread is M30x3.5 and I measure the exterior diameter at the top of the threads at 3cm. If so it wont take standard thread on stuff and that kind of sucks
The 3cm measurement is correct for M30. Its becoming the standad size here in Aust, so all our supplies have this thread or more commonly, a larger opening and an adaptor. Such an adaptor might be the best way forward for you if you get something with a different, but larger thread. I use a Vicmarc chuck with the long jaws to hold my blanks for drilling. That way I can drill square or round cross section blanks and some that dont quite fit either of those two shapes. And all Vicmarc chucks use an adptor to fit your headstock drrive. Hope this helps

Greg

BobRad

Yes it helps thanks

I assume that getting a Multi Star chuck that fitted was easy because it was made in the UK, so far nothing I've seen that is readily available in Canada/USA has metric threads. I can get things from PSI or Lee Valley Tools more easily that other places.

PSI stuff seems to fit 3/4" x 16tpi, 1" x 8tpi only

Maybe its possible to get an adapter made that steps down - I sent a tech support request to PSI to see if they have an idea

johncrane

I ordered mine thru a Supplier here, there not an off the shelf item! they are made to order, some one here should know where to order one in your part of the world, i think mine was $50

BobRad

I'll ask someone I get stuff from here - he might know or be able to make it himself - I think he used to be a machinest/tool maker

Tree Frog

tim self

As John mentioned, he had one made. $50 for a custom item is not bad as the price from CSUSA is $52 or so for a similar item. And most of the time, it's more exact. Good luck

Top Bottom