metals and damascus steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

david975

Has anyone used the new metals (including damascus) from M3? They claim it turns with wood tools and lathe, you just need a new polishing step. They look great on the website and I wondered if anyone had first hand experience to share? the websit is metalpenblanks.com they really do look cool.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
David,

They CAN turn with standard tools.

If your profile is correct and you are a "pen-turning novice", it's a pretty expensive experiment. The ones I have turned had small pits that had to be dealt with (CA finish) and the polishing is not the same as oak!

I would not want to turn them with anything less than a skew -- and awfully sharp, at that.

david975

Thanks Ed, but is there anyone part of this group that would be afraid to try even if the blanks are $25- $30- Hellllllll no. I just wondered if they truly look and feel like the metals when finished.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That's subjective.

I turn everything I can find, because I do craft venues and want to show "the newest thing" to get both respect and credibility.

I wouldn't carry the finished pen as my own "daily writer". BUT, they look a lot like metal and the finished pen can be sold for a LOT less than real Damascus steel.

Set aside a couple hours if you decide to try one. AND, what are you using to sharpen your tools?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Marc,

The guy that owns the place has ads here sometimes, give me a couple minutes and I'll try to get a link to one.

David gives the guy's website above.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here are some pens I have made using these blanks.

20086280137__DSC0322.jpg

200862801358__DSC0268001.jpg

20086280153__DSC01011022.jpg

200862801536__DSC01031024.jpg

The blanks make very heavy pens.

david975

Well let me know if any are coming up! I will be rolling through Racine tomorrow on the way over to Lauderdale lakes. Ithought maybe you did a weekly or monthly booth at one of the different sale events. The first weekend of every month is Kane County Fairground swap/craft market and draws well over 10,000 people every month.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by RussFairfield

How much did it weigh, Ed?? I have visions of a 20-pound Slim-Line.

They ARE heavier Russ. But, I won't LIVE long enough to do a slimline. AS you know, I turn FAST, this stuff REALLY fights back. And the blanks are a full 3/4" to start. You are REMOVING a LOT of material. Again, they say they have improved, but mine had bubbles (very tiny) that had to be repaired, also.

Ask Lou. He did a couple. Edit: OR look at his entry, above!!

It's a nice pen, NOT a show-stopper pen.

The yellow bakelite will get LOTS more attention.

ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION, ALL ARE WELCOME TO DISAGREE!!!

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by MobilMan

I've seen them on ebay quite often for the same price. They may be his. Under 'pen blanks'.
Yes, they are. I have gotten a couple of the plain (non-Damascus) blanks from him. Those of you wanting to do slims can save about 5 bucks a blank and a lot of turning by getting his thinner blanks. Use a sharp skew, get ready to hone a lot, and look for the "shavings" to be powdery, rather than what you would expect from 100% metal. These blanks are made from powdered metals (95%) with the remaining 5% being binding agents. They turn back to powder as you turn them. They are quite heavy, but remember that the bigger pens often have very thin walls, thus the weight is not intolerable. One comforting thing is that, if you blow one out, you can get a replacement for 50% off.

MHKogan

Originally posted by ed4copies

Originally posted by RussFairfield

How much did it weigh, Ed?? I have visions of a 20-pound Slim-Line.

They ARE heavier Russ. But, I won't LIVE long enough to do a slimline. AS you know, I turn FAST, this stuff REALLY fights back. And the blanks are a full 3/4" to start. You are REMOVING a LOT of material. Again, they say they have improved, but mine had bubbles (very tiny) that had to be repaired, also.

Ask Lou. He did a couple. Edit: OR look at his entry, above!!

It's a nice pen, NOT a show-stopper pen.

The yellow bakelite will get LOTS more attention.

ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION, ALL ARE WELCOME TO DISAGREE!!!

Ed,
We replaced every blank that had small pin holes FREE of charge. If we missed you at the time then please accept our apology and feel free to request your new blanks now.

The fact is that M3 makes a magnificent "Heirloom" quality writing instrument that in the finer pen kits are retailing for close to $1,000 in jewelry stores on the West coast($250 to $300 wholesale). Jewelers are embracing this new material and are requesting pens, pocket knives and other high end gift-ware made out of M3. Some are even replacing the crystal in the Majestic clip with diamonds and other semi precious stones.

We are getting so many requests for the "M3 Majestic" (we call them "Royal") that we have started to contract with independent pen makers such as yourself to turn them for us. We will be posting this as a business opportunity on this site shortly to handle the expected high demand for M3 "Executive Gifts" for the coming 2008 Holiday season.

M3_mokume_majestic_pens.jpg

We will be posting another "Group Buy" event in the "Business Classified" section of the forum later this week for any IAP member that wants to try M3 at the IAP discount.

As for turning M3, it does turn and work with standard wood tools. That being said, we have found that "Carbide Tipped" chisels work best and only have to be honed after 2 or 3 turnings. Our R&D pen turners knock off the corners on a belt sander and then turn up the lathe to 3200 rpm and take the material down slowly. Drilling, sanding and cutting is all done with your existing wood grade tools and bits.

Please visit our website for more information www.MetalPenBlanks.com or feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Michael Kogan
MetalPenBlanks.com
info@MetalPenBlanks.com
(888) 478-6745

turff49

I've turned a few of these now and have an order for a few more. I use a Thompson detail gouge to turn them. I only need to sharpen 3 times during the turning process. I've never found a flaw with any of the blanks I've gotten. I've also found that people prefer the Retro over the Statesman and Jr. Gents. The Stretch makes a nice looking pen too. I plan on trying a Panache in the near future for my own desk at work. The blanks seem expensive but when you are done the pen has the look and feel of an expensive pen.

Top Bottom