Metal Turning Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a question for everyone and anyone. Has anyone tried a small metal turning lathe for making pens? I was considering purchasing a mini metal lathe because of the increased accuracy. Let me know what you think, I dont want to make the investment if using this lathe is unrealistic.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Paul, there are at least a dozen members that use metal lathes in pen turning. Just avoid the bottom dollar ones. I'm sure you'll be getting more advice shortly.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've used a Taig to make several pens. Works great and there's lots of
accessories that make things go easier (jacobs chucks for drilling, compound
tool rests, quick change tool posts etc.) Not the cheapest around, but it
is certainly one of the more portable ones and doesn't take a lot of room.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A 7x12 is all I use now. Even have a tool rest for gouges, skews, etc if I want to go that way. Mine is from toolsnow.com as well. Had it for almost 2 years and with very few exceptions there isn't a pen posted on this forum that couldn't be made on it. Even if you are thinking about a better or larger one, if you have no experience this is a great one to learn on without damaging a more expensive machine or hurting yourself. They also have great resale value and are rare to find used. That should say something.

bruce119

I have two 7 x 12 mini lathe and just love them. I do everything on my mini metal lathe. You will like the variable speed 0 - 2500 rpm with just the turn of a knob and revers with just a flip of the switch. You can use the tool post with a bit to turn your blanks round. Then pop in a wood tool rest and finish it off with a skew. You will want an extra tool holder so you can change it out easily and check out and do the tail stock modification for the quick lock. Then throw away your wrench. There are a lot of support groups on the net for the mini metal lathe.

That's my feelings
Bruce

bruce119

How does sawdust affect them??? I may consider going this route later on..

One thing I would do is put a rubber boot over the F.O.R. (forward/off/reverse) switch. I replaced 2 in the last 2 years before I discovered it was dust getting in the switch. Hunt around you can find them. Maybe take the cover off the control panel and blow it off once and wile. I already replaced 2 P.C. boards my fault though. If your going to work on them electronically pull the plug. Having the switch off isn't good enough. And never start and stop it using the F.O.R. switch. I went to check the bushings easy too do there rite there. I had all the switches off and thought it was safe. WRONG sparks flew even though the all switches were off the board and brushes are still energized. I found that out the hard way $$.

Don't let that scare you that was my stupidity. Just keep it clean & adjusted. Join the yahoo "7x12minilathe" group there is a ton of information there a great group closely moderated, large & very active.

Good luck
Bruce

KenV

I found that trying to mix metal turning and wood turning on the same gear did not work well. Swarf fairy does not like wood turning and gets swarf into things unless cleaned exceedingly well. Wood wizard does not like metal and wood dust gets in the way of precision unless well well cleaned.

The oil needed for good operation on the metal lathe tends to capture wood dust.

I suspect that most who have metal lathes and turn pens have more than one lathe and do precision work on the metal lathe - and mostly metal work with it.

One lathe for everything involves compromises and tradeoffs -- like a shopsmith. Does many things at the cost of time to change setups and loss of accuracy/stability in some things (like the table saw).

Thank you

Thanks everyone for all the useful information, I have a laguna lathe now and was looking to speed up the pen process with a more automated and precise lathe. I have also found a mini lathe with duplicator attachment through penn state industries. Has anyone tried this route?

themartaman

One thing you don't do on a metal lathe is use air to blow it off. BRUSH ONLY. All those particles can mess things up. 7 X 12 lathes are made by 2 companies to the same specs. I just bought one at Tractor Supply for $192.00. Clearing them out.

titan2

One thing you don't do on a metal lathe is use air to blow it off. BRUSH ONLY. All those particles can mess things up. 7 X 12 lathes are made by 2 companies to the same specs. I just bought one at Tractor Supply for $192.00. Clearing them out.

Yep, I just had the last one in the nation (I believe) shipped from a store in Ga to a Tractor Supply near me in Ca. It was a display model with a part missing that's on B.O. until the end of the month. It should be here in the next week or so and they'll order whatever is missing, after I check everything out.

Cann't wait til it gets here!!!

Barney

Paul, the best advice I can give you on a metal lathe is get the largest US built lathe that you can afford (bigger is better, even if you don't plan on making larger things now, you will in the future, trust me :), also make sure it has a quick change gear box. You can pick up a used South Bend on craigslist fairly cheap if you keep an eye out, a 9" swing would be a great place to start. I would rather have a forty year old US built metal lathe than a brand new Asian model any-day. Just my 2 cents for what that's worth. :O

I have a jet 9x20 it is great only thing is it is not varaiable speed. Wish it was. But I still do all my pens on my powermatic wood lathe.

Ligget

I have a small metal lathe, but I prefer to turn down aluminium pen barrels on my wood lathe (Nova DVR xp). Using normal woodturning tools it is really easy, as is giving the barrels some curves.

Bill Daniels

Metel turning lathe

I have a question for everyone and anyone. Has anyone tried a small metal turning lathe for making pens? I was considering purchasing a mini metal lathe because of the increased accuracy. Let me know what you think, I dont want to make the investment if using this lathe is unrealistic.

Thanks
For info on metal turning lathe read Bill Daniels note.
Same date as your question.
Best thing about it s the automatic cross feed which gives you accurate sizing, right to the thousandth of an inch.

KenV

side note -- metal lathes (carriages) excell at straight lines. Wood lathes excell at curves.

Computer controls (CNC) can approximate curves on the metal lathe, but that is getting into real money.

me2cyclops

as an owner of both old american iron lathes and new chicom benchtop I must say alot of old iron is useful but unless you find one in "execelent" condition I would recomend a new 7 x 12, yes it has issues but is a useable machine , if you buy old iron you will need a second lathe to make replacement parts for the ones that have worn out and are either no longer availible or priced higher than the lathe is worth.
I currently own 5 lathes 2 are 12 x 40 and they see almost no use now that I have a 7x.

just my .02

bruce119

side note -- metal lathes (carriages) excell at straight lines. Wood lathes excell at curves.

Computer controls (CNC) can approximate curves on the metal lathe, but that is getting into real money.

You can always put a tool rest in the carriage and use a skew/gouge or any other wood tool. It's still a lathe that spins. :wink:

Top Bottom