Metal sleeves for barrel trimmer / lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petricore

I am wondering if anyone has (or can make) metal sleeves that fit over the stock barrel trimmers and mandrels (I think I have a 1/4"). I am curious because I've noticed my barrel trimmer kind of sucks and inst completely straight. so I'd like to rough trim them with that and then throw them on the lathe and finish them with a big sanding disk (idea from another thread). I have made my own sleeves from wood, but since I don't have a way to cut them to be very precise I've noticed I'm not getting the same diameter all the way through the sleeve and its causing it to be off slightly. I know if I had a metal lathe I could make these very accurately. Any ideas ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

I make aluminum sleeves exactly like you are describing.

The metal lathe is really not necessary, though. If you are doing these out of wood, think about it this way.

Even if the turning is not EXACTLY straight, as long as the sleeve contacts the brass barrel at two points along the linear axis, the trimmer will always cut true.

It's just the physics of turning. Let's say the the sleeve is slightly concave - as long as the trimmer sleeve contacts the barrel at the two linear points, you'll be fine. Just avoid severely convex.

Now of course, aluminum off the metal lathe is better, but you don't need to buy a metal lathe just for this.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use delrin - drilled out and turned on the lathe. I use my calipers to check and get them to within .005/.007 from one end to the other. I make mine about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

alxe24

I made mine with woos as well and have good results. I get them pretty close and finish with 80 or 100 grit with a hard backing. Check it often and that should give you a good fit.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom