Metal Lathe tool post usage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I have a metal lathe and use normal lathe tools on a tool rest.

I did a search and see several references to metal lathes, but it appears that most use normal woodworking lathe tools.

Does anyone here use the tool post and lathe bits to make pens?

If so, what shape are the lathe bits? Close-up Photos appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Randy here are a couple of pics of a couple lathe tool bits I use on my 9x20, the only thing different about them vs. metal cutting profiles is the rake and relief angles, I use more acute angles than you would use for metal although they do cut aluminum quickly, these are 3/8 hss bits from Enco
1.jpg

sorry about the glare, it really isn't as dull as it appears,
2.jpg

this is just for fast stock removal
3.jpg

this is what I use for woop dee doos and cutting in at the waist of modified slimlines [8D]

Chuck Key

TCMT 21.51 inserts in a shop made QCTP for me. I cut in both directions and take the final cuts in the direction that gives the best finish.

20086273652_pic1.jpg

Also use a four position tool post with a carbide insert in one side. One of the pens I make needs a slot for the clip which is cut as shown in this photo.

20086273916_pic2.jpg

The other side of the 4 position tool post holds an automotive style feeler gauge. This tool is rotated into postion and used to cut grooves. The feeler guage provides for exact measurement of the grooves and the tool is marked as to size.

200862731442_pic3.jpg

Any tapers on the ends are made with a bar in the tool post and cut by hand held skew.

Chuckie

randyrls

Thanks to Ken and John for the great photos!

I will have to grind some tool bits.

I live in Harrisburg PA Great Location! MSC is about 35 minutes from my house, and Grizzly is about 2 hours away!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom