Metal Lathe to get me started

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I always have, well for a long time, made pens about 10 to 15 at a time. I have baskets I put all the parts in, and do them a bunch at a time. When I'm done with them, I fill the baskets again.....

Lately, I have been using a mandrel on a 8x1 adapter, putting the parts and bushings on it, then putting the mandrel in my metal lathe chuck, (keep in mind, I only turn acrylic for these types of pens) and take .040 to .050 a pass with a carbide bit, take it down only kind of close then do the finish shaping and with a skew, sand on my wood lathe on the same mandrel and adapter, switch to delrin bushing mandrel and buff on a small lathe with a beal buff, Mcguire polish and done. I know some would say that they can use their skew faster, in lieu of the metal lathe, but I am slow and careful with a skew and this is faster for me.

My question is, does anyone else do anything like this? It seems to go faster for me. I have 3 or 4 mandrels so I can do them all, then move to the other lathe. I like doing it this way, but my metal lathe is only a year old and maybe the "newness" is still intriguing to me and that is the draw. What do you think? Am I making more work?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

I think you are doing more work, I use a carbide tip chisel and keeping it sharp will help plow through acrylics easily taking long strands. Acrylester though, you will need to go a bit slowed to prevent massive chip out.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've been doing it close to that way for years. Rarely turn a pen on my wood lathe, particularly when I want a constant diameter for potential CNC carving. Rarely lose one to blowout.

moke

Bruce, sounds like I am in pretty good company, I started doing this shortly after I got the metal lathe for a segmented blank that I thought was delicate......I had intended to bathe the blank in thin CA several times but it seemed to be turning so easy, I never did. So I thought, hey why not do this for pens I was selling/giving away and take a big cut...I have never had a blowout either....something I certainly can not say for turning on the wood lathe. It literally takes me 2 minutes to transfer from one lathe to the other.

More4dan

I only have the metal lathe so my method is a bit different. I use a dead center in the chuck and use a live center in the tail stock. I turn the blanks round between centers. I then put the blank into the chuck and drill on the lathe. After gluing in the tubes, I square the ends on my sander using a 90deg fence. The hole and side of the round blank are parallel so I don't need a guide through the tube. I then turn the blank with tube down to the largest diameter of the cap or body using the metal lathe. I usually make it .100" larger than the hardware. I then mount a tool rest I made for the metal lathe and turn by hand to the final dimensions. Then finish with Delrin bushings between centers. I use a HSS bit I ground for wood and acrylic with a higher angle than I normally grind for metal. I get a cleaner cut with the HSS than I get with carbide tooling made for metal turning. I can easily touch up the edge with a diamond card.

I usually cut in .020" passes by hand and use the power feed for the last pass or two. I'm only using a 7' x 10" lathe. I really don't have blow outs turning this way.

Danny

Woodster Will

When I made my realistic Cigar pen it was all done on my MW lathe. The wood was slowly turned using polished carbide inserts and the drilling was done using a collet chuck. Accuracy was key to get the two halves to line up.

PatrickR

The thing that struck me in the OP, "I like it this way". Then keep doing that way, (unless you feel a need to change). I do similar foregoing the mandrel. I TBC and move between the two lathes as needed.

Top Bottom