Metal lathe drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

I have a mini metal lathe and I was wondering if the dust/debris from drilling blanks will hurt it in any way. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

What if I'm drilling multiple blanks at a time do I have to stop inbetween and clean or what. I just don't want to ruin my lathe that's all.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Buster,

I don't have a metal lathe, but it seems logical to me to use good dust collection and have an air gun on your compressor to clean the lathe regularly as you work.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
When I first got my metal lathe, I was overly precious about trying to keep it spotless. I do all sort of stuff on it including CA'ing, rounding up PR blanks etc. I even do wet sanding on it. However, I often get called out at a moments notice so have frequently left it for weeks at a time before cleaning. [:I]

Now I just give it a real good cleaning when I clean my shop. No damage yet ( Touch wood!!! )

gerryr

Bear in mind that metal lathes are generally run with some sort of coolant to keep the metal cooled while it's being machined. So, debris from drilling blanks is not likely to harm it.

mick

Originally posted by skiprat

When I first got my metal lathe, I was overly precious about trying to keep it spotless. I do all sort of stuff on it including CA'ing, rounding up PR blanks etc. I even do wet sanding on it. However, I often get called out at a moments notice so have frequently left it for weeks at a time before cleaning. [:I]

Now I just give it a real good cleaning when I clean my shop. No damage yet ( Touch wood!!! )
You're supposed to clean your lathe? :D

bitshird

Also not a good idea to blow you dust off with an air hose, it tends to force wood dust or metal shavings between the apron and the bed ways, a real cheap paint brush works well, along with an oil dampened rag, I do like and use mine for every thing, but wet sand with mineral spirits instead of water, and cover the bed ways with a shop towel or paper towel when applying CA.

Top Bottom