Metal Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on this lathe (believe it is branded as a Clarke product, according to the picture on the TSC website...)? At that price, it might provide one with a reasonable entry into metal lathes...

Thanks in advance!

bitshird

All of the 7x10 and 12 are pretty much the same, at that price, you can't go wrong, they are not too bad, I looked at one a few years ago at Tractor Supply, it's about the same as Harbor Freight or the Grizzly, you will have some tune up work to do, possibly some deburring on some edges of the bed casting, but for an entry level, you can make your own Center to Center bushings, you can thread with them, so with that in mind, if the store near me had one, I'd buy it just to have a smaller lathe, there are a number of easy modifications you can make that make them easier to work with, check out the little machine shop site, all kinds of neat stuff for them.

bruce119

I have two 7x12 mini metal lathes one's still NIB. I do all my work on the 7x12 and just love it. It will do all you need and more to make pens. And yes I use a hand held skew just get the wood tool rest that attachés to the tool post.

Bruce

randyrls

I have two 7x12 mini metal lathes one's still NIB. I do all my work on the 7x12 and just love it. It will do all you need and more to make pens. And yes I use a hand held skew just get the wood tool rest that attachés to the tool post.

Bruce

I have a 9x20 and cobbled up a tool rest like this:
main.php

titan2

Tractor Supply is clearing out their 7 X 12 lathes for $196.00. Some stores still have them.

Thanks........that sure beats $500! I'm having my son checking on availability in our area at this time.

Hope to snag one.......been looking but refuse to spend $500 for one at this time......under $200, now that's a different story!!!

Thanks Again,

Barney

DozerMite

Banned
I called over 20 stores and all said they haven't had one for over a year, that is when they clearenced them.

themartaman

They were put on clearance this year. Not a year ago. The store I normally buy from gave me the full information and they located 3 in 2 stores in georgia. They were put on clearance after Clarke went bankrupt in January. Thats why there are so many on ebay. I got mine at Milledgeville, Ga. Had to drive 82 miles but it was a nice drive for me and wife. They still have 1 and Toccoa, Ga has 1. One thing the price you pay is only part of expense. You have to buy accessories to make it useful. Little Machine Shop has a great kit for them. Now I have to find a suitable place for it. And show my wife I really did need it. HA

titan2

They were put on clearance this year. Not a year ago. The store I normally buy from gave me the full information and they located 3 in 2 stores in georgia. They were put on clearance after Clarke went bankrupt in January. Thats why there are so many on ebay. I got mine at Milledgeville, Ga. Had to drive 82 miles but it was a nice drive for me and wife. They still have 1 and Toccoa, Ga has 1. One thing the price you pay is only part of expense. You have to buy accessories to make it useful. Little Machine Shop has a great kit for them. Now I have to find a suitable place for it. And show my wife I really did need it. HA

Wouldn't want to make another road trip, would ya? Wonder if they'd ship one to Ca?

Barney

titan2

Well, looks like I got the last one in the nation!!! It must of been a floor model as it's missing some items and they are on back order til the end of May. Went to the local TSC store near me and they called the the manager of the store in Ga and they got them to send it our way. They will be boxing it up and will be sending it all the way across the U.S. to the store near me in California. When it get's here they are going to call me to check it out to see what's actually missing and they'll order whatever is needed. All that and at only $192.......cannot beat that!!!

Looks like I can stop looking at all the metal lathes on E-Bay, CL and what have you!!!

They're not sure how soon it will get here, but, I told them that there is NO hurry.......it gets here when it gets here! Once everything is in order, I'll pay for it and take it 'Home'!

Barney

P.S.

They finally took down the listing for the lathe on their web site also.......looks like that's it!!!

themartaman

Titan2
I bought the package of bits and other items from littlemachineshop.com. They are in Ca. Nice people. Still learning about my new toy. Biggest problem I had was centering bit vertically. Also smoothed up the cross slide gib with diamond sharpener. Much smoother now. Turned some pen bushings just to play a little. Let me know what you think about it when it arrives. Send an email. Larry

titan2

Titan2
I bought the package of bits and other items from littlemachineshop.com. They are in Ca. Nice people. Still learning about my new toy. Biggest problem I had was centering bit vertically. Also smoothed up the cross slide gib with diamond sharpener. Much smoother now. Turned some pen bushings just to play a little. Let me know what you think about it when it arrives. Send an email. Larry

Will do.....can't wait til it gets here!

Barney

Top Bottom