Metal inserts noob question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When I open the home page in this site, there is a photo of a beautiful pen in ivory with metal bands. What kind of aluminum material should I get to make those metal bands?
In what diameter-size-hardness?. What if I want golden colored metal? I want some materials that can be worked with my regular wooden tools.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It has been my experience that the thinner, softer, the better. It also helps to have a carbide tool. I haven't worked with aluminum yet but the brass washers I added to a Cholla cactus pen were difficult.

The article I remember from Woodturning Design Magazine suggested using sheet metals that you can get from hardware stores out of the hobby bins. I will look to my magazines later and see if I can dig up more info. It is on my to do list to start adding metal strips to my work as well.

wiset1

Hey Ulises,

I used 1/8th inch aluminum purchased at Home Depot or Lowes...can't remember now, but that's the aluminum in the pen. Also, if you want a Gold look you'll probably want to use brass which can be a bit more expensive, but will result in some beautiful accents. Be sure to skuff the material up a bit prior to CA/Epoxy use. People have reported that a smooth surface on the accent material allows it to pop off easier. Just FYI I guess

Oh yeah, I use carbide tipped tools to turn this...if that helps

Turned Around

i just recently started to fiddle with the metal accents. so far i've just used some beer cans cut up. gives a nice little shimmer on the side. a little thin though, but nice looking none the less.

BSea

You can use HSS tools on aluminum. At least you can on some of the thinner stuff. Just be sure the tool is sharp. I've used HSS on AL that was about 1/64". Not thick, but much thicker than a soda can. I've used carbide too, but it isn't a necessity.

t001xa22

Offering a suggestion: I combined two very different materials together to make this pen a few months ago. The aluminum came from a Lowes metal selection rack, and was from a 1" x 36" strap piece. This aluminum is a pretty soft temper and was fairly easy to cut along with the stabilized leather squares. I have also found that copper pipe compressed flat in a vise will also turn well. The one metal I have tried that was very difficult for me was brass, but I think it was too thick (3/32") and too tempered. The leather used came from an old belt.

Attachments

• Leather Aluminum Sierra.jpg
    Leather Aluminum Sierra.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom