metal inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steve and pam

can anyone put an instructional link on doing metal aluminum inlay
I cant seem to find out how to do it...

tks in advance....Steve Jalbert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

What type of inlay are you interested Steve. I've done both brass and aluminum. Either can be used just like a wood veneer or plastic sheet. The least expensive is to use an aluminum can which you can cut with large pair of scissors. Rough up both sides with sandpaper to improve adhesion and inlay away. Look in the library for Inlay tutorials and substitute the aluminum. You'll need to sharpen your tools sooner but turn and finish just like you would wood.
You can buy sheet aluminum and brass at Hobby Lobby (modeling section) or other hobby stores. If you purchase sheet the same thickness as you band saw blade you can do some nice Celtic Knots.
Here's a quick sample....excuse the photo...Black Titanium Blackwood slim lines with aluminum inlays.....

Vic

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Skip_Evans

I cut open a coke can the other day and it seemed awfully thin. I didn't think it would thick enough. I guess I was wrong. I will have to try it.

Mr Vic

Skip - cans are thin but work okay for accents. If you want anything thicker you will need sheet stock or ceheck a construction site for left over flashing.

NewlLondon88 - good luck....don't think they make them that thin...that's why I use sheet stock.....Blade thickness to stock thickness is only critical for knot work....

steve and pam

is there instructional methods on doing different types of inlay......normal curves are not a prob...i am interested in knots and such....

tks again steve

Top Bottom