Messing with a blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

I'm wondering about adding dots into an existing blank. I've never messed with a blank, segmented or inlayed. I've only worked straight up with what I've bought. Has anyone tried drilling holes into a blank, filling with painted glue then turning? Wondering if the glue would stay in the holes. Obviously I'm new at all this, but trying to be creative. So be gracious. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Fill the holes with colored two part epoxy. Or a product many suppliers sell called inlace. Fill them with stone dust such as turquoise and flood with thin CA.m Embossing powder works nicely also. Good luck and have fun.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I'm wondering about adding dots into an existing blank. I've never messed with a blank, segmented or inlayed. I've only worked straight up with what I've bought. Has anyone tried drilling holes into a blank, filling with painted glue then turning? Wondering if the glue would stay in the holes. Obviously I'm new at all this, but trying to be creative. So be gracious. Thanks.

Phunky_2003

I used a regular vice and a couple of spare pieces of wood on the couple I have done with epoxy. I overfilled with epoxy and put pieces of wood on both sides and clamped down. Worked fine for me.

James

Buzzzz4

One last question, would this work with acrylic? would I need to put some type of finish over the epoxy to blend things in and protect it?

Phunky_2003

I dont see why it wouldn't work with acrylic. The ones I've done have been with wood blanks. So I had a few coats of CA as a finish then micro meshed and polished. I would think with acrylic all that would be necessary is micro meshed and polishing.

James

Top Bottom