mess up, need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

In the process of making my first Baron, with some beautiful afzelia burl, all went well until I failed to install the threaded coupler. [:0] The trim ring is in and resists removal with gentle, non-marring, techniques. Is there a way to get it out so I can install the coupler? [:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

I did the same thing. I have a set of very cheap drill bits I bought for $5.00. I found one of these bits that will go through the trim ring,inserted it with the solid end facing the finial and knocked it and the clip out. Then I found a bit that would just fit in the tube and carefully knocked the trim ring out. Hope this helps.

Rifleman1776

Makes sense. I have about a skillion inherited drill bits, will look for a couple to try that with. Also have a trimmer kit with only large reamer that might work bassakwards. Thanks. Will let all know outcome.

jkirkb94

If the drill bits don't work you might try the punches from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3577 Kirk[8D]

woodscavenger

I feel for you rifleman. Been there and done that. I was doing my second cigar and when I was pressing in the threaded end on the body section I had the little trim ring reversed. I thought....I must just need to push harder.....then I heard the sickening crunch as the thread were shoved down through the trim ring which destroyed them. ARGH! I got the thing out and flipped the trim ring around then had to do a custom end cap to cover the destroyed threads. Turns out it is my favorite pen now. Check in my album for a cocobolo baron FP with custom end cap if you are interested. Glad you were able to rescue yours. I just came in from cutting a drilling 6 baron blanks.....can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom