Mesquite root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

surveyzo

I had a guy tell me he had a good sized mesquite root ball. I know you can get some pretty cool stuff out of the base of mesquite. My question is what is something like that worth? I know he doesn't want to give it away. It's about 18"-20" in diameter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alonzo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I guess just ask him what he wants for it.

Contrary to belief in wood turning circles, mesquite is often considered just a nuicance, thorny tree by ranchers who place no value whatsoever on it and you can often get it for free. I can get all I want free and in our local turning club, someone is always bringing in a few nice size logs to give away.

Daniel

I would also ask them what they want for it. Cause for me free is always a good price. From there on it is a matter of negotiation.

Gary Max

I can't believe you guys-------remember this is a Pen makers forum.

he needs a nice mesquite pen in his shirt pocket---that's a fair trade for a craftsman.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Wish some of you guys would send some up this way...not for turning, but for smoking. LOL i spend $8 a bag just to throw in my smoker
Funny you should mention smoking. Years ago before my pen turning days I too bought mesquite for smoking my meats. At a local RV rally we got to talking about smoking meat one night when I mentioned how I went out to my firewood/smoking wood pile to grab some mesquite for smoking and since I had just started turning pens, thought this might look good turned. Turns out I had a gold mine in my firewood stack!

Long story short, a good friend said if I wanted some mesquite, don't buy it just drop by with a chain saw and a shotgun! Turns out he has an 1100+ acre ranch about 80 miles from me and has thousands of mesquite trees to choose from. The shotgun.... that's for the rattle snakes!:)

mick

Funny you should mention smoking. Years ago before my pen turning days I too bought mesquite for smoking my meats. At a local RV rally we got to talking about smoking meat one night when I mentioned how I went out to my firewood/smoking wood pile to grab some mesquite for smoking and since I had just started turning pens, thought this might look good turned. Turns out I had a gold mine in my firewood stack!

Long story short, a good friend said if I wanted some mesquite, don't buy it just drop by with a chain saw and a shotgun! Turns out he has an 1100+ acre ranch about 80 miles from me and has thousands of mesquite trees to choose from. The shotgun.... that's for the rattle snakes!:)

That's a twofer! Mesquite and the snakeskin if you happen to run across one!

witz1976

SO plenty of turning and smoking wood, and snake skins to boot. Not a bad deal. so when should i give ya my address LOL:redface:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

I think you need to host an IAP meeting at your friend's place so we can all stock up on mesquite and RS skins.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom