Mesa Stylus Pen - loose stylus gold ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W3DRM

I have just received and turned four Mesa Stylus pens I purchased from Woodturningz.com. On two of them, the gold ring portion of the stylus assembly is loose and just falls off the pen. The other two seem to be tight. I have attempted to press them on tighter but they loosen up with a light twist of the ring.

I was going to use some Locktite to fix them in place but realized that the gold ring has to be removed to replace the soft rubber stylus should it tear or need replacing for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have written to Woodturningz and am awaiting a response from them.

Unfortunately, all of these pens are customer Christmas orders and I don't think they will be fixed before then.

BTW, I do like the way these stylus tips are designed relative to how the stylus portion screws into the clip assembly so the sylus can be replaced separately, unlike those from Woodcraft, which from what I have seen, cannot be replaced without disassembly of the pen. Though I'm not sure if the Mesa Stylus will fit directly on a Wall Street II pen from WC or not.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W3DRM

WoodTurningz has replied to my email asking about the loose gold rings on the stylus pen tips.

Their answer included a set of instructions for fixing the loose ring by applying a drop of glue to the ring. Rather than use glue, which I believe would result in the inability to remove the ring in the future, I have applied a very small amount of "blue" Locktite to the ring in hopes that this will be enough to hold the ring in place unless it is necessary to remove it should the rubber stylus tip tear or need replacing.

Since no one else seems to be having the same problem as I am, I'll just leave this topic as it is and with the above suggestion to use the blue Locktite for anyone else who happens have similar problems in the future.

bjbear76

Yes, I've had the same problem with the stylus tips. I also had a couple Mesas with defective transmissions. Woodturningz sent me replacements, but I hesitate to order more of these kits if the quality is so unpredictable. I have several customers who like the pen because of the stylus cap, but who knows how long they will hold up?

Stephen

Mesa Stylus Pen - loose stylus gold ring

I just assembled my first kit and the ring is also loose. As already mentioned gluing will not permit changing the stylus. Looks like a poor design and the only solution is to glue it permanently.
Strange a replacement stylus is offered but I hesitate to offer a customer a spare stylus because he may have a problem.
The kit has to be modified for replacement of stylus for a permanent solution.

MTViper

I've gotten to the point that I buy new kits from PSI and high end kits from Beartooth Woods. Ernie has better quality control and customer service than anyone else I've dealt with. Sierra Stylus kits I've used were precision instruments and available in lots of finishes. Even works with the circuit board blanks.

Joe S.

I've gotten to the point that I buy new kits from PSI and high end kits from Beartooth Woods. Ernie has better quality control and customer service than anyone else I've dealt with. Sierra Stylus kits I've used were precision instruments and available in lots of finishes. Even works with the circuit board blanks.

Wouldn't that reflect on Berra (not sure if thats how its spelled) kits instead of BTW? The Mesa is a woodturningz specific kit, the Sierra comes from Berra and BTW is a dealer. I might be wrong, but that's what I've always thought...

bkersten

When I got this kit at WC I could see a problem right away if it wasn't put
in right, and then the salesman added some info. One has to drill s hole
the size of the stylus on a thin block of anything and put it on top of the finial to prevent damage to the stylus when pushing it in the finished blank. There was no mention of this in the instructions.

Top Bottom