Mesa Pen Not Working Properly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mordi

I got a single barrel Mesa twist pen back with the comment that the tip of the refill does not extend far enough out from the nib.

Any ideas what could be causing this :confused:

Thanks,
Mordi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mordi

I can't say with 100% certainty it was working at the time of sale - as I do not recall if I tested it or not. :confused:

It has the same refill that it had when sold - but I noticed the spring was missing. I suspect they may have tried to "operate" on the pen. I inserted a spring (from a different style pen), but the problem still persists.

Just guessing here - But what if the turned barrel was ever so slightly longer than the tube. Could that cause the problem? :eek: Do I need to insert a spring from another mesa kit to be certain the spring is not the cause of the problem?

Thanks,
Mordi

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Remove the refill and spring from the tip. Now, slide the refill in and out of the tip. Will it slide easily through the tip? If it doesn't you may need to ream the hole with a small file or drill bit. If is does, than the barrel may be a hair too long.

gimpy

I agree, the next step for me would to find a spring for the kit, spring are style specfic on most cases

Dustygoose

Mesa is Woodturningz version of the Sierra. I haven't had any problems but had to ream one when I put a gel refil in. Don't remember which gel refill it was. Call Woodturningz, great customer service.

Mordi

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am learning so much on the forum, thanks to you all.

I got a replacement nib from Woodturningz and that seems to have been the problem, as the pen works just fine now :biggrin:

I looked at the tip of the old nib and it looks like someone was chewing on it :eek: just kidding! However, I do think that perhaps it may have been dropped on the floor by the owner, ...

I think I can salvage the nib and make myself a "beater" pen with it. What is the best technique for opening up the tip of the nib a bit and getting the it close to where it should be? Should I use a transfer punch?

Thanks so much
Mordi

Top Bottom