Mesa pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Has anyone had problems with the Mesa pen kit when replacing the refill. I always installed the narrow part of the spring supplied towards the nib end although the instructions are silent. But I never tried replacing the refill nor as an exercise before offering for sale.
At a recent sale a customer returned about 2 hours later because she had tried see how to change the refill and in the process was unable to install the refill because the spring was stuck in the nib and off-centre. I refunded to avoid any further embrassement as I could not resolve the problem with other customers at the table.
I have now reversed the spring and crimped the smaller diameter to the refill just to ensure that it comes out with the refill and informing customers that spring should be reinstalled as delivered. Not sure this is the solution.
Any experience will be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

From my experience, typically the narrow end will go on the refill and the wider end will go to the front. Seems to just work better that way.

jttheclockman

wide part toward nib. Narrow part on refill. When looking at spring it makes sense or the wide part will go over the refill.

Last edited:

CoastalRyan

The instructions I have state that the narrow end goes towards the nib end.

b. Place refill spring over the end of refill with large diameter first

Note: Click mechanism will not function if refill spring is placed on with the narrow diameter first
Never had any problems so I've never experimented.

Not sure what makes them think doing it in reverse would cause it to not function.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The instructions I have state that the narrow end goes towards the nib end.

b. Place refill spring over the end of refill with large diameter first

Note: Click mechanism will not function if refill spring is placed on with the narrow diameter first
Never had any problems so I've never experimented.

Not sure what makes them think doing it in reverse would cause it to not function.
Some it makes a difference and some it does not..some kits seem to come with a straight spring and no wide or narrow end. Usually the wide end will be toward the nib and it keeps the spring from binding in the tip I have a couple of pens in my collection where the spring is bound and while it's a pain to get the refill back inside the spring the pen works fine when I do. I think it would be fairly easy to get the spring out with a dental pick. I note that Constant on his Liberty provides a highly tapered spring and the instructions say wide end toward the tip.

mick

On any pen using the Parker refill the smaller end of the spring fits onto the refill. This holds the spring in place when removing the refill or when inserting the new one. Otherwise it would stay in the nib or could fall off and be lost.

Stephen

On any pen using the Parker refill the smaller end of the spring fits onto the refill. This holds the spring in place when removing the refill or when inserting the new one. Otherwise it would stay in the nib or could fall off and be lost.

The narrow end of the Mesa spring is a very loose fit on the refill. Looks like a wrong design for this kit. Gatsby and Sierra kits are almost straight and fits tightly on the refill and comes out with the refill. I have asked Wood Turningz the supplier for their comments and waiting for their response.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The narrow end of the Mesa spring is a very loose fit on the refill. Looks like a wrong design for this kit. Gatsby and Sierra kits are almost straight and fits tightly on the refill and comes out with the refill. I have asked Wood Turningz the supplier for their comments and waiting for their response.
I think the spring coming out with the refill is hit or miss and is as much related to the refill used as anything else. All refills are not the same size at the tip as we have discussed here a number of times.

Stephen

On looking closely and measuring the Mesa spring and comparing with an Elegant Sierra spring the Mesa spring is larger on the inside diameter at the small end /larger end.
Mesa spring inside diameter at small end 0.131
Elegant Sierra inside diameter at small end is 0.098.
The Mesa spring is approximately 0.033 inches larger.
The Elegant Sierra spring works fine on the Mesa nib. Both refills are around 0.103 where the small end of spring engages.

Top Bottom