MESA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

Does anyone use the Mesa line that WoodturningZ offers? I like Sierras so I tried the Monet from Wood n Whimsies because the price was great, but it didn't work for me.
I wondered about the Mesa.

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does anyone use the Mesa line that WoodturningZ offers? I like Sierras so I tried the Monet from Wood n Whimsies because the price was great, but it didn't work for me.
I wondered about the Mesa.

Carmen
Looking at it, my guess is that the Mesa is a Sierra. These kits are available from suppliers who will label them with any name you want to call them.

ldb2000

It would be helpful to know what the problem was with the Monet and why you think the Mesa would be any better . They are all clones of the Sierra , the only real difference is the center bands .

jaywood1207

I'm glad to see this question asked as I was wondering the same thing.

I have used the Mesa pen. What would you like to know?

Is it the same quality as Berea or is it a cheap knockoff? Is the gold plating gold titanium or 24K? It's almost $7.00 cheaper than the sierras elsewhere right now but that isn't worth it to me if the quality isn't the same.

ldb2000

At $7 cheaper common sense says it's not going to be Titanium and if you read the ad it says Gold/Gun metal , nothing about Titanium and the regular ones say 24ct .

ToddMR

I had good luck with the Mesa from them. Same ones as PSI since they are a reseller of PSI parts. Obviously some platings don't hold up as well.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I too have turned a number of the Mesas and have had no problems. I deal with WTs on a regular basis and they will make good on any issues you have with a product. The Mesa is designed to fill a need for a less expensive kit that looks similar to the Sierra, I find that the tranny isn't as smooth and the plating is not as refined as the more expensive kits. That being said, I enjoy making pens, a lot, so I make some of the lower end kits into pens I can sell to feed my addiction. These "cheap" kits open doors that allow me to sell the higher end pens and I get lots of practice. There is a market for the less expensive pens and it allows folks on tighter budgets to get something for themselves or as a gift that won't break the bank.

ldb2000

I too have turned a number of the Mesas and have had no problems. I deal with WTs on a regular basis and they will make good on any issues you have with a product. The Mesa is designed to fill a need for a less expensive kit that looks similar to the Sierra, I find that the tranny isn't as smooth and the plating is not as refined as the more expensive kits. That being said, I enjoy making pens, a lot, so I make some of the lower end kits into pens I can sell to feed my addiction. These "cheap" kits open doors that allow me to sell the higher end pens and I get lots of practice. There is a market for the less expensive pens and it allows folks on tighter budgets to get something for themselves or as a gift that won't break the bank.

The problem is , when the plating wears off and the kit looks like crap you will never see another order from that person and all those he tells about it .

ToddMR

And when the sky starts falling, everything will burn, and the fire will consume all these kits anyhow. LMAO!

ldb2000

And when the sky starts falling, everything will burn, and the fire will consume all these kits anyhow. LMAO!

You can laugh until you loose a corprate account because the pens you sold start looking crudy and the person in charge cancels a yearly contract that was your best account . I have never fully recovered from the loss of that account .

ldb2000

No problem . The point was if your going to sell something make it the best product you can , your name and reputation is associated with that product and you can never tell where a hobby can lead . Is it worth the risk ? I know I sure don't want a reputation as a hack .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sierra

Sierra is a style....I sell Sierra's they might or might not be the same kit that PSI and Woodturningz sell under different names. 24kt gold finishes are all (or almost all) finished with a clear epoxy coating that will extend their durability and to be frank, I have yet to see a pen that has the finish worn off...even the enamels seem to hold up pretty well.

Now certainly if you pay $10 for a Sierra kit you should expect everything about that kit to be better than if you pay $5.00 and if you are making $150.00 pens it can make perfect sense for you to go with the better kit.

But higher price does not always mean better quality, I have on my desk right now a pen sent to me by DVA as an incentive for me to contribute and I'm sure it didn't cost them more than $1.50 but it has a click mechanism that I know guys on here would kill for -- positive, solid and works every time I wish I could find out where it came from.

By all means go with what makes you happy but don't discard things just because they don't cost enough. If you are worried about 24kt Gold plating don't use it because it won't matter how much you pay, the wear characteristics will be about the same unless one plating is thicker than another. I haven't seen where anyone claims a thicker plating for their 24kt gold stuff.

I expect that the movement to these kits being made in China will continue...I can now get Rhodium and Titanium Gold kits now that are made in China. The Chinese are following in the footsteps of the Japanese, Taiwanese and Koreans start making it cheap and keep making it better but still at a lower price. That's why none of these kits say "Made in USA" on the label.

phillywood

Bill, I am not sure if I can follow you on your comment.

Dudley Young

I agree. I make what the market will bare. I've been doing $500-600 a month every month this year. Bigest sellers are 1-The ugly 50 cal.
2-Slimline (acrylic & corian)
3-Civil War (confederate)
4-Non kit 30-06
I do have an advantage in that I have them on display in my daughters Pack & Ship store so they get a lot of exposure. My daughter (Marie) turns them also.

bad

Looking at it, my guess is that the Mesa is a Sierra. These kits are available from suppliers who will label them with any name you want to call them.

I've been using the Pacifica pen kits from Woodpenpro. The're actually my top sellers not to mention my highest profit margin :). Just looking at them I've always assumed that they were just Sierra knock off's. Does anybody else have any experience or opinions on these kits?

andyk

In response to the plating wearing off. I have a Waterman that was a gift from the LOML at least 25 years ago. It was a daily user through my railroad career, construction business, computer career and only got shelved a year and a half ago when I started turning some pens. Even though some of the plating is worn off of the nib that doesn't mean that they use inferior parts. In its day this was an expensive pen and well worth it. I would buy another Waterman without hesitation. There has to be some expectation of wear and tear. If someone doesn't want anything to happen to their purchase they should put it in a case and not use it... Just my .02 cents.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
phillywood, Alls I'm a sayin' is, there is a market for the Ford Focus (don't everyone jump on that one at the same time) and there is a market for the Lincoln. They are not mutually exclusive. I sell the "lower end pens" for $15 each. That covers the cost of materials, I make a small amount on them, if I'm trying something new (read goofy) and it doesn't turn out just like I thought it would well, I'm not out as much money. Plus, as Shakespear said, "We learn from our mistakes, not our successes" so I'm a learnin'. At least I think it was Bill who said that. I've had folks come back after buying one or two at $15 and want the top o the line big bucks whohaws. I have owned a couple of businesses and worked for 52 years for the money. I do pens for fun and I sure don't want to mess that up by turning it into a business. Tried that once and all of the fun went away. Remember, work IS a four letter word. Please, don't take everything I say too seriously, even I don't believe everything I know.

Top Bottom