Memorial Bullet Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenbsp

My grandfather passed away last year and as he was a major in the airforce and a WWII veteran, he requested a military honr guard at his funeral. I collected the shell casings from the rifle salute that the honr guard performed and wnat to use them to make memorial pens for my mother and aunts and uncles. I believe that they were fired from M1 rifles and were obviosly blank cartridged so I am not certain how to apply some of the very fine tutorials on the subject. I really don't want to mess up the casings as obviously they are not replaceable .

I guess I am fishing for any technical and aesthetic suggestions for what to do with them. I've seen so many great ideas here at IAP and would value your opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ravenbsp

Here are two replies that were kindly posted before I moved the topic to the correct section :
------------------------------------------------------------------

arjudy

USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 5:55:55 PM US Eastern Time Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What caliber are they? .30-06?
"Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rifleman

USA
2239 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 : 6:00:59 PM US Eastern Time Show Profile Email Poster Visit Rifleman's Homepage Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by arjudy

What caliber are they? .30-06?

That's what they should be.
Frank
a/k/a Rifleman1776
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Randy_

I could be wrong; but it seems like I have seen some Honor Guards sporting the M16 which would mean the cartridge was a 5.56x45(NATO).

If that is the case, the brass won't make even a 7 mm pen without some serious modifications!!

Added: Frank is, of course, correct about the ammunition for the M1. On the other hand, the gun being used could have been the M14 which looks a lot like the M1. If M14s were being used, the brass would 7.62x51 NATO and essentially the same size as the 30-06.

Butcher

As Randy said, most of the Honor Guards I've seen in recent days use the M16 or a version there-of. That uses the 5.56 (.223) round and would require serious modifications to even make a 7mm pen.

If it was in fact a M1 Garand, it would use the 30-06 round. If it was the M14 (M1A)(looks a lot like the M1 but has a box magazine) it would use the 7.62 (same as a .308 Win.) round and could be used to make a pen.

With the blank cartridges, you will need to trim off the crimp in order for the nib to fit correctly. If you know a reloader (hunter/shooter that reloads his own), you could ask them to prep the brass for you. I could prep the brass for you if you can't find someone local to do it.

laspringer

I've been asked to do the same thing with some brass from a military funeral. The brass I will be using is the same size as a 30-06. If you have the .223 size round the modifications are do able. I have made many .223 brass into pens. All of the cartridge pens I make get a bullet for a nib. Good luck with the pens.

Alan

First my condolences in the loss of your grandfather. And a thank you to his family for his service to our nation. I have used the casings from military rites in the past, and the SL kits will work, if yours are the same caliber (I think mine were 302). Look on the end of the casing and see if you can read what they are. MIght need to use a punch set to help round the end for a smoother fit (may need a little heat). Also may consider having them clear powder coated and engraved with his info. Is there a special wood from his home that would also make a connection. Look fwd to seeing your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom