Melting point of PR/Acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah

I've got a tattoo artist that is wanting me to make some handles for his tattoo gun, but I am unsure that they can take the heat of his sterilizing machine. I think he said that it gets about 250deg.
I am planing on running him a couple pieces of acrylic over to him tomorrow for him to throw in it and see what happens, but was curious if anyone here knew off hand at what temp these will start to melt?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

All plastics are not the same. They all start to soften at different temps. I would suggest you test with the same msterial you plan to actually use.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

randyrls

Make the handle removable?? After all, the handle doesn't come into contact with the skin? Don't know, no tattoos, never wanted one, never got one.

micah

Yep, the handle will be removable but I think it may a legal sanitary thing with tattoo places that they have to sanitize the whole thing with this machine. I'll check to make sure though. Totally understand about the never getting a tattoo thing though. Although I've never wanted an Emperor pen, I've have sold them! ;)
Didn't get to go by today to take him the samples to try. Forgot he is closed on Mondays....

Last edited:

I find that acrylic softens at around 140f. I wouldn't trust either plastic at 250. Even if it looks okay it might sag or deform over time.

Top Bottom