Mechanism pressed in too deep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schellfarms

Is there an easy method of pulling a mechanism back out once it is pressed in? The mechanism is about 1/16" too deep on a 7mm kit.

I was thinking of a making a puller that would screw in and push against the tube, but i am afraid of damaging the end of the wood or possibly pulling the tub away from the wood.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenwc

What pen kit is it? I pressed one back out of a slimline recently. I found a deep 1/4" drive socket that allowed the trasmission to enter but "barely" rode against the edge of the tube and put it in my zyliss vice with a proper sized punch inside the other end of the tube. Took it slow and it came out fine. The punch inside the tube pushed the trans. into the socket. I should add that the nib was not installed at the time.

low_48

You can either use a disassembly kit, or make your own. You have to drive off the nib, then remove the transmission, then put it all back together. Some guys use a transfer punch from Harbor Freight to reach through the transmission and drive off the nib. Then you come from the nib side and drive out the transmission. The store bought kit has a turned mandrel that locates around the transmission and tapers to catch the brass tube. You use a 1/4" rod to reach through the blank and knock out the transmission.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577
purchased kit;
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1603

This is the way I remove slim trannys with transfer punches:
1 - insert a small punch through the tranny and drive out the nib.
2 - place the lower barrel's tranny into a drilled piece of wood LONGER than the tranny - I use a cracked blank (without the tube in it)
3 - place punch inside lower barrel and PRESS the tranny out into the cracked blank. I think driving it out might damage the tranny.
I have never damaged a tranny or the finished blank doing it this way.

2006101543620_slim%20tranny%20removal1.jpg
<br />

2006101543644_slim%20tranny%20removal2.jpg
<br />
Pardon the lousy pics - I was in a hurry[:D] I hope this makes sense[:)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sarah,

As mentioned above, the best overall disassembly tool is the punch set from Harbor Freight. I have a disassembly tool from PSI and also the HF set. I use the HF set more that the disassembly tool. You will also need a rubber mat gripper to hold the pen as you tap the punch to get the nig end out and then again as you tap to move the transmission back.

Not sure if you know it or not but HF is now on Summer in Memphis. They moved back in the spring from the south side.

Dario

Another vote for the HF punch set. [^]

I've never lost any kit disassembling...but I just hold the barrel on my hand. I do wrap it with rubber bands on some cases for added grip. Oh yeah, remove any ring prior [;)]

Chuck B

I will say that 80% of the Slimline kits i got at woodcrafters I had to use Locktite to keep the nibs, finial, all the dam parts from coming out. I think I'm done with those type of kits.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by recon
<br />I will say that 80% of the Slimline kits i got at woodcrafters I had to use Locktite to keep the nibs, finial, all the dam parts from coming out. I think I'm done with those type of kits.
I am going to take a stab at this problem.
How are you milling your blanks?
If the mill isn't centered when you are raising it or lowering it to check progress( IF you use a DP) you may be "Scoring
the inside of the tube
Check your technique.
It is odd that you have that many problems with those.I'd make sure the manger is aware of the problem with the kits. The charge a lot for their slim lines and for their prices there shouldn't be many that are screwed up.(Provoding you are doing everything els "right")

Chuck B

Eagle,
I use a bench vice with rubber on jaws 12v hand drill & I stop as soon as I see any brass at all. I check it every 2 to 3 seconds to make sure I don't score the tube.

airrat

Schell,
I bought the disassembly kit from woodcrafters just for the part to take transmissions out. the cracked blank method above works just like that and is alot cheaper lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom