Is it me or is it CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

Back in December I bought 14 Artisan Sienna 10K pen kits for an upcoming project for a non-profit organization. I'm to the point of assembling the first test pen and I find that the pen tip where it meets the should of the body is a sloppy loose fit. The cap end presses in just fine. But the bottom fit is so loose even if the friction of the mechanism at the top holds the pen together you'll be able to feel the looseness at the point end. This can't be normal. Has anyone else run into this problem.? I'll be calling CSUSA first thing Monday but I'm wondering if this was a bad batch and if anyone else has run across this.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Sounds like a locktite opportunity. I ream some tubes out a bit for finger fit and loctite them in to assure I do not start a crack.

Buzzzz4

I've had a loose fit, but the transmission usually stabilizes it just fine. It shouldn't be sloppy once you have it all together. You wouldn't want to glue that portion as that is where you take it apart to change the refill.

Mickey

Ken you can't locktite it as the end has to pull off so you can replace a refill when needed.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I loctite all mine. To change the refill, just unscrew the nib, the transmission stays in the body. Haven't had any more issues with them since I started doing this.

Mickey

Mine may be different or I'm even weaker than I feel. I can't get any part of the nib end to come apart.

flyitfast

I thought the same thing on the first Sierra, but then I realized it is supposed to be turnable so you can unscrew it from the transmission to change the refill. The transmission will stay tight in the finial/top portion once you press the nib/refill/transmission into position and everything seems to work OK. Built many Sierras from CSUSA and Berea with no problems. One of my favorite kits, especially the Ultras or Elegants, and is a favorite with customers. Good Luck
Gordon in San Antonio

KenV

I do locktite the transmisson into some Sierras ---- the turning for extending the tip works fine and the transmisison does not push up into the activator tube when unscrewed and pushed together.

It does make them tighten up if they feel loose.

Be careful where you put the loctite and do not slobber it around (use a lot when you need a little).

jlord

I Loctite all mine. There are different strengths of Loctite. Use the removable (blue) for parts you will want to take apart later such as to change the refill.

nava1uni

I Loctite all mine. There are different strengths of Loctite. Use the removable (blue) for parts you will want to take apart later such as to change the refill.

There is suppose to be some minor play so that the top can be twisted to advance the pen tip from the bottom of the pen to write. I use a toothpick and apply a "tiny" drop of blue loctite on the threads and tighten the transmission. It is not difficult to loosen the transmission to change the refill and the loctite doesn't appear to need to be reapplied. In the upper part of the pen the top of transmission is engaged and if you unscrew the nib part leaving the transmission in the top part of the pen you run the risk it getting pushed too far into the top and the threads not engaging and you will have difficulty reassembling the pen.

JMT

Regarding the Loctite....what's the long term plan for this? Does the customer need to know about using Loctite? After the 3rd or 4rth refil....does the original application of Loctite still work?

Roger@csusa

Sienna pen kits

Mickey
Sorry you are having problems with the Sienna pen kits. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I have gone back and pulled from stock a selection of Sienna pen kits and assembled them. They all went together nicely, If you would like to send one in for us to check we can do that or if you would like to return them we can do that also.
Thanks
Roger @csusa

Top Bottom