McGuire's Mirror-glaze for plastics...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I found a bottle of McGuire's Mirror-Glaze that I didn't realize I had. I'm not even sure of why I bought it.

I'm sure it's a couple of years old. Reckon it's still any good?

Is it useful for polishing up acrylics/PR's? Does it leave a true high gloss?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Hmmmm
Are you sure it isn't another product just repackaged under theat name?[:D][}:)]

Not sure what to make of these responces... either I have a controversial product, or a lucrative little find, or something. I did spell it wrong, it's "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 10 Clear Plastic Polish".

chisel

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Hmmmm
Are you sure it isn't another product just repackaged under theat name?[:D][}:)]

*sniffs bait*

*swims away*

tnilmerl

Worth a try.

I've used different polishes in the past, but I always go back to just wet sanding up to 12000 with the micro-mesh pads. Get a perfect mirror shine every time.

Originally posted by tnilmerl
<br />Worth a try.

I've used different polishes in the past, but I always go back to just wet sanding up to 12000 with the micro-mesh pads. Get a perfect mirror shine every time.

I do the same, but also follow up with a coat of TSW.

alamocdc

Originally posted by tnilmerl
<br />Worth a try.

I do this too, Travis, but the plastic polish actually makes it even more shiney.

redfishsc

Coming from you, Russ, Brasso is now on my shopping list. Ya can't have too much polish. I've heard of Brasso used for that so now I'll give it a shot once I get moved and unpacked.

Jerryconn

Russ,
You use Brasso on PR/acrylics? Have you used it on a CA finish as well?? I use it on the shell casings but never thought of using it on other materials. [?][?]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am not Russ and I don't play him on T.V., but this may answer your question about using it on CA.
I posted a pen I made out of an old engineers hat and CA.I made it the same way I make the denim pen.
After going trough the MM it looked great.
After usining the brasso it looked<b>Great!</b>
2006103234552_old%20hat%20001.jpg

The label on the Brasso can says it can be used on plastics.

jtate

As a long time afficiando of vintage fountain pens, I've found that Maas metal polishing (in a tube) is better than Brasso. Brasso's more abrasive and you risk rubbing away more than you want. Maas will polish out the finest of scratches with less risk to metal parts. Accidentally rubbing a metal part with Brasso can rub away the plating. I accidentally run into the metal parts often with Maas and haven't had this happen.

Firefyter-emt

What I used is a product made to remove sand scratches from fine grit sanding. The product is 3M's Perfect-it system III once sanded thru MM I apply a small dab on a piece of Viva and with the lathe on nice and slow. I then polish it with the compound twice, followed by the finish glaze. Due to the inteded use, there are no waxes or silicons in this product. A bottle of each will last just about forever. The nice thing is that is's designed to remove & polish sanded finishes.

mediawebserver.dyn

mediawebserver.dyn

redfishsc

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />What I used is a product made to remove sand scratches from fine grit sanding. The product is 3M's Perfect-it system III once sanded thru MM I apply a small dab on a piece of Viva and with the lathe on nice and slow. I then polish it with the compound twice, followed by the finish glaze. Due to the inteded use, there are no waxes or silicons in this product. A bottle of each will last just about forever. The nice thing is that is's designed to remove & polish sanded finishes.

mediawebserver.dyn

mediawebserver.dyn

If you are going this far on polishing, be sure that you are finishing it up with "Finesse It II". I had been using Finesse It II after 12,000 MM and the look is incredible. It's just $30 a quart, whereas brasso is a lot cheaper, so I'll be giving it a shot.

tnilmerl

as far as fine and ultra level polishing goes, I'm starting to see more and more woodworkers use automotive industry polishing compounds. Most said polishes are finer grit than what the woodworking industry has produced and they give superb results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom