Maybe a dumb question on Vac stabalization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jehharris

OK I admit I am pretty new to the world of turning and I started another thread on stabalization. One of the responses got me lookin harder and thinking about home vacuum stabalization systems. I see that there are as many "mixes" as there are turners: glue/water, poly, ploy mixes (other additives), plexi... Many recommend just using CA while turning. Has anyone tried CA in a jar under vacuum? Will it dry too quickly? Or is it just too expensive? I am not a chemist, just interested.

Thanks!
Jim

Possumpoint

My last bottle of CA glue cost me about $5 for 1-1/2 oz. I think it would be very expensive to buy a large enough amount to stabilize wood blanks. You'd do better considering Minwax wood hardener, polyurethane varnish or Plexiglas dissolved in acetone.

You do however, have to be concerned with potential color changes in the wood with the first two items.

dubdrvrkev

It may work but the whole thing might harden when the oxygen is removed. I just use fast dry polyurathane right out of the can, might work better if it was a little thinner but it works for ma as is.

redfishsc

A lil mineral spirits will solve your polyurethane viscosity issue. The can says "do not thin" but that's only b/c it won't meet VOC standards with more thinner added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom