math theme

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I am not sure what forum to put this in, so I put it here. I told a professor at the college I go to that when she does a math contest in April (evidently there is a math awareness month) that I would donate a pen for a prize. Since they only do this or she only does this once a year and there is no budget for this and she bought the prizes herself last spring, I thought I might do something nice like a laser inlay if there was a math theme inlay. If not, I will come up with something else nice. I looked at Lazerlinez and did not see any, and I have no idea who all sells these types of products. So if anyone knows of a math themed lazer kit, let me know please.
Thanks

Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I am quite familiar with the laser inlay pen kits offered by Lazerlinez and also by Kallenshaan Woodworks and also by Wood N Whimsies.

There are no math-themed inlay kits as far as I know. I would sure like some myself !!

The closest thing is a kit from Kallenshaan which has a bunch of inlay parts that look like "+" signs.

CREID

I thought I seen one somewhere at some time in the past that had a pi symbol. Maybe not. Maybe they will come up with one. At the college I got to, the math professors all at some time where math related t-shirts. There are a lot of math teachers in the country, though not as many as firemen, dentists, doctors etc... .

Curt

thewishman

Laser engrave whatever you want on a pen. You can fill the engraving with different colored paint to make it more interesting. It will be far cheaper and easier than an inlay kit, with MUCH more freedom of design.:)

Stan Cook can engrave all around the pen body and does a great job. He can also do the colorfill, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Contact

D.Oliver

Either my eye sight is going or I watched too many episodes of Breaking Bad, because I read the title of this thread as "meth theme". Then I'm thinking who in their right mind would make a meth themed pen.

CREID

Either my eye sight is going or I watched too many episodes of Breaking Bad, because I read the title of this thread as "meth theme". Then I'm thinking who in their right mind would make a meth themed pen.

Hope you have vision insurance. :biggrin:

curt

PR_Princess

I do kinda like and second Chris's idea. I think there is a lot you might be able do with an engraving....Could you maybe tie the prof's contest to a famous mathematician? Put their likeness or something representing their particular field of study (maybe with parts of formulas) on the pen/box? Historical figures or even Contemporaries might work well - (Nash, Witten, Wiles....)

Another thought ( if you want to drive the students crazy) might be to engrave one of the "unsolvable" math problems...

Curt, this is a very nice thing for you to do. And whatever you decide, please post the finished pen!

CREID

I do kinda like and second Chris's idea. I think there is a lot you might be able do with an engraving....Could you maybe tie the prof's contest to a famous mathematician? Put their likeness or something representing their particular field of study (maybe with parts of formulas) on the pen/box? Historical figures or even Contemporaries might work well - (Nash, Witten, Wiles....)

Another thought ( if you want to drive the students crazy) might be to engrave one of the "unsolvable" math problems...

Curt, this is a very nice thing for you to do. And whatever you decide, please post the finished pen!
I actually like the unsolvable thing. Although in my case, a lot of the problems seem unsolvable.:biggrin:

Curt

CREID

I will post the finished pen, even with all of my very poor photography. It won't be soon though, the contest isn't until April (which evidently is math awareness month). I have a lot of time to come up with ideas.

Curt

Top Bottom