Matching Platings to blank colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

Hey Gang,

One of the problems of being a bachelor and "taste challenged' is that I'm having a hard time figuring out if a particular plating "Goes" with a particular tone of blank. I've figured out that plain gold seems to go with everything, silver tones go well with darker blanks, but not quite sure if there are any general guidelines. I've been reduced to holding the clips up against the banks and see if it makes me go "OHHH" or "YEECH". (BTW, this is the same way I match ties and shirts)

Other than getting married to someone with good taste, what kinds of general rules / guidelines are there. Suggestions???

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Steve,

I don't know if there are any magic formulas. Sometimes the best "goes with" is a "matches" and sometimes it's "contrasts with". Go with what looks good to you.

-Barry

skeenum

Steve,

If you will agree to do a couple of "honey do" projects I will loan you my wife to "make up your mind for you" occasionally. What days would be good for you?

Rudy Vey

I think Andrew is right on, silvery colors, like Platinum, Rhodium and Chrome will go well with most blank materials. When I am in doubt, I ask my wife (just to confirm my choice:wink:). Just today I wasn't sure with what plating I had to match a pistachio blank, choices were Ti Gold and Black Ti. Black Ti was both our choice! The pen didn't look good with the gold tone hardware. A silver tone was not discussed since I didn't have this kind of kit in Platinum plating handy (and chrome was out of the question).

JimB

I often find that what I think before I turn the blank and what I think after I turn it are 2 different things. When I turn Sierras I turn 3 to 5 at a time. I lay out all the finished wood and one of each kit plating and my wife and I mix and match wood to plating. We almost always agree on what matches best. When we don't agree I go with her suggestion (usually).

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with Andrew and Rudy. I really like the silver tones, gold does not appeal to me. The exception is the circuit board pens - I like that in gold.
Everything Chris has said ! The only Gold kit for me is the Circuitboard pen . I prefer Black TI for almost everything . I made a Honduras Rosewood Burl , with a Jr. Statesmen FP in Sterling Silver last year , and heard no complaints about the match . I really don't think there is any method or rule to matching . It just depends on the material . I made a pen with Osage Orange last year , (Cigar) and Used a Black TI kit . I thought , not too black , not too shiny . Had several compliments on the SOYP . I hope this helps . JMHO

Hey Gang,

One of the problems of being a bachelor and "taste challenged' is that I'm having a hard time figuring out if a particular plating "Goes" with a particular tone of blank. I've figured out that plain gold seems to go with everything, silver tones go well with darker blanks, but not quite sure if there are any general guidelines. I've been reduced to holding the clips up against the banks and see if it makes me go "OHHH" or "YEECH". (BTW, this is the same way I match ties and shirts)

Other than getting married to someone with good taste, what kinds of general rules / guidelines are there. Suggestions???

Steve

I'm married to an artist type person.. she paints and quilts, but never comes to the shop, so I still have the same problem... I spend as much time trying to match blanks and kits as I do turning... once in a while I'll even get a few right.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hey Gang,

Steve

Date someone with good taste. :wink:

mrcook4570

When I turn Sierras I turn 3 to 5 at a time.

Wow, that must take a pretty long mandrel :wink:

With regards to the plating question, it does not matter what you put on the blank. Your customer will always want it the other way. :biggrin:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcav1952
Date someone with good taste.

If they had good taste, they wouldn't be dating me. :tongue:

Steve
Internet Dating - The Odds Can Be Good, but the Goods Can Be Odd

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

DurocShark

John Eberly

Color matching

My feelings on this issue -

Gold hardware needs a "warm" blank color - something with some yellow/red. Gold with blues and stark white can look a little cheesy - the gold does not show up as true, looks fake.

Chrome is fine with a blue base "cool" color. It does not work as well with warm tone blanks.

Platinum/rhodium seem to go with anything in my eyes.

sbell111

With regards to the plating question, it does not matter what you put on the blank. Your customer will always want it the other way. :biggrin:
There is definitely some truth to this. Therefore, we often will make a number of pens at a time using the same material, but different finishes. As the pens sell, we make more of the popular ones. Unpopular ones don't get remade as they sell. Very unpopular ones end up being disassembled and reassembled using more popular finishes.

I have about 2 pounds of finished barrels that I just couldn't match to anything that made me happy. I know your pain brother. I have noticed,(in fact I'm on a bit of a kick lately) that as far as casting goes, the "pretty" colors go real good with the new pearl kits. I've made a lot of those lately. and now my wife makes her wrist go limp and talks with a lisp when ever I show her a new one. what do you supose she's gettin at?

Since I only have about 40 pens in my 'showcase', I try to keep one of each kit/per color/per popular shape/per material (wood,acrylic,etc)/per finish. Obviously, there are too many combinations to have one of everything.

Rarely do I allow a customer to buy a pen right out of the case. I ask them to design their own pen based on their preferences of look and feel. That way they get a pen that truly is 'their custom pen'. They seem to really enjoy the process.

Of course this won't work if I did craft shows. People like to pick, pay and carry it away. Maybe after i get a larger selection and I get more experience under my belt, the buying feedback and trends will teach me what to carry for those occasions.

I am actually colorblind, but the wife enjoys helping me. :biggrin:

Gregory

Top Bottom