1. Does it turn well?
2. Is it stable after kiln drying?
3. Does it take a CA finish well?

Where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

I have turned a few pens from Masur Birch and they turned out beautiful. However, they were stabilized blanks from Arizona Silhouette. I do have some 1x1x12 Masur unstabilized blanks that I got from CSUSA about a week ago, haven't turned it yet, but I plan to in the next couple of days. I'll post a pen in SOYP.

Haven't turned a pen out of it yet, but I have turned some small hollowforms (weed pots) and the wood turns and polishes very nicely. The wood was not stabilized and there were no problems.

zig613

I have turned 4-5 Sedonas from Masur Birch (unstablized) over the past year and found it great to work with? I would do more but in my part of the country it isn't readily available.

chigdon

Masur birch is one of those woods that IMHO should not be stabilized. It is somewhat soft but not to the point of needing stabilization and it changes the color of the wood dramatically. The contrast is nearly lost which is what makes that wood so interesting and beautiful. I really like the wood.

Sawdustman

I turned a few hundred slim lines several years ago out of Masur when CS had a bunch of pre cut blanks. Got some more from their sale table a few years later at the symposium. Would love to have more like them. Turned easily and looked great.
Art

Top Bottom