Marquee Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I want to make a showpiece pen for my pen stock. The kind you put under glass and talk about in hushed tones. It looks incredible and has a price tag to match.

What is your marquee pen? What kit, finish, and blank do you use? If you have a couple models feel free to give them both. I am particularly interested in wood versions since that is 90% of what I sell, but would like to hear about both wood and non-wood versions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

This is part of what separates one from all of the other pen makers at a given show, so don't be surprised if you do not get very many responses.

1080Wayne

You have a lot of local history to draw upon , if you are marketing close to home . Jon`s ideas are good . The Washington and Jefferson woods would widen the appeal , although I would bet that you could find showier pieces of chestnut and poplar locally . That is a contrast that could be made .

You can be sure that 99.99% of potential customers will never have heard of huanghali - and probably 99.9% of them would prefer to buy a pen made from the red oak that they played under as a kid . I`m absolutely certain that you can find a gorgeous piece of red oak .

Maybe you could secure rights to the first board removed during demolition of your old Town hall ???

kovalcik

This is part of what separates one from all of the other pen makers at a given show, so don't be surprised if you do not get very many responses.

Not looking for state secrets here, just general terms.

ie. Titanium Majestic FP with a nice burl blank

Or Chrome Slimline with a blank cut out of a 2x4 from Lowes spray painted green

No more than someone looking at the pen at your booth or on your website would see. If the details of your #1 pen are that confidential, give up your #2 or 3. Just looking to get a couple of general ideas, not looking to copy anyone (though anyone is free to copy the slimline example from above:)).

Buzzzz4

I have 4 to choose from. A Huanghuali Emporer, closed end cherry pit fountain pen with suspended pit, Damascus Steel Emporer and anything with watch parts. I display them in a stand up glass cabinet with shelves and a light shining down onto them.

Top Bottom