Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrigg

I'm getting ready to cut a couple of pen blanks off an unknown species of maple burl that was harvested about a year ago. It was coated with shellac soon afterwards, and has been sitting in my basement shop ever since. I realize that shellac was probably not the best choice, but that's the way it was given to me, and there doesn't seem to be any cracks or checks. It is 1½"-2" thick and it has not been stabilized. Should I cut the blanks and let them soak up some thin CA glue for awhile, or should I let it sit another six months or so first. I don't have to use it now, and I don't especially want to stick the blanks in the microwave. The burl wouldn't fit, anyway.;)

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

toolcrazy

That is going to depend on how stable it is. If it's punky, you'll need to stabilize it. If it seems solid, then use it as is. If your not sure of how dry it is, then a moisture meter or just throw a chunk in a ziplock in the micro and find out if there is any moisture left.

Rifleman1776

If you just cut to 3/4" or 1" strips, stack with spacers and let rest in a dry spot about six more months, you should be OK. As for stable, that depends on the wood. Some burls are looking for an excuse to fly apart, others can be turned as is.

hrigg

Thanks for the responses. Since I'm in no hurry to use it, I think I'll probably go with the oversize strips. Cutting it up may also give me an idea how stable it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom