manzanita

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

unclefuzzy

I just received some manzanita burl pieces. I have not ever turned any. What can I expect to get? It looks to be several colors by looking at the ends of the pieces. Just wondering. Thanks for any info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I have never turned manzanita burl, but I have turned manzanita wood. It was a pleasure to work with. Almost like turning olive wood. Wish I had some bigger pieces to play with.

unclefuzzy

I just run a piece of it through my bandsaw and it looks like it will be interesting. The pieces I got look to be branch cutoffs. About 4" long and 2" around.

Ed McDonnell

As long as you aren't dealing with a root piece you shouldn't have any nasty surprises. Manzanita root will often have embedded rocks and other sorts of debris (glass, metal, whatever was buried where it grew). I've only turned the root pieces. It's easy to turn (except for the aforementioned rocks and such).

Ed

PTsideshow

If you want larger dia pieces check out the local pet store that deals in Parrots. It is used for perches and toy parts. I used to buy it wholesale for the toy parts. It has gone up in price recently as the feds have tightened the restrictions for the permits to collect on fed land. You can google manzanita wood parrot perches. I use to by 3" dia and the cuts always had nice coloring. never thought of turning it back then.
:clown:

unclefuzzy

Pix will follow as soon as I can get one done. In between working a full time job and getting ready for several fall shows, I don't have a lot of time for trying new stuff and really enjoy and learn. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes.

robutacion

I just run a piece of it through my bandsaw and it looks like it will be interesting. The pieces I got look to be branch cutoffs. About 4" long and 2" around.

Well, I wonder if what you got is actually burl, from what you said above.

Burls don't have "branches", roots may have extensions that may look like branches in those sizes so, seeing some pics would certainly help us to answer your question...!

Cheers
George

keithbyrd

Manzanita is really nice to turn - I have had trouble finding pieces as big as what you describe without cracks or voids but it certainly turns a nice pen!

JohnU

Ive turned a few and loved every one of them. Easy to work with, turns and sands well, and took a nice CA finish.

Top Bottom