Mango

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

laspringer

Has anybody turned mango before. Turned better than expected. Let me have it good or not so good.

200531944928_Pol_Mango.jpg

Thanks Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darbytee

Alan, I've turned curly mango before and was very pleasantly surprised with how it came out. Your pen looks very nice. I think the wood might be better complimented by a gold pen kit. Just my opinion, worth what it cost [:D]

Daniel

Alan,
I posted a pic last week of a Spalted Mango Cigar pen. It was the Platinum version and came out pretty sharp. my customer was very happy with it. Happy enough to join this group and start getting ready to make pens himself. anyway. nice pen and I found the wood to be really nice to turn myslef. I think If i had made it for myself I would have gone with a black finished pen. just strickes me as one of those woods that goes very well with black enamel.

laspringer,

Where did you get the mango wood? I'd like to get some for myself. I'd like to turn a mango pen for my wife. She is originally from southern India, where they grow tons of mangos. That is her favorite "exotic" fruit. I love mango's too, if you can get a really sweet ripe one. (often the ones in the grocery are picked too early and expected to ripen at the store) When she was little her she had a mango tree in her yard that she could pick from just when they were "perfect". I've even been trying to grow a mango from seed (no luck yet). Not that I expect to get pen turning wood from it. Just for the novelty of having a small mango tree in the house. It will never survive outside here in the NY winter. I have heard of people who have successful fruit bearing mango trees in southern CA and Florida.

laspringer

Thanks for the input everybody. The mango came as part of the mixed island woods package from alohawoods.com ,the pieces are small but large enough to turn pens. The last order I received had 17 different kinds of wood.

Thumbs

Wow! Wish I had some Mango wood. I didn't particularly care for this pen style but I think you may have changed my mind. Thanks for opening my tiny little mind! Duh! I am continually amazed at all the things you folks do here! Thanks for sharing.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom