Mandrels shafts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

So far every pen I've made has been done on a Woodcraft mandrel. I want to make some Berea and HUT kits which require either Berea's "B" mandrel rod or HUT's "Ameroclassic" mandrel rod. Can someone tell me if these are the same or do I need to buy one from each?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

Go to the "individual classified" section and look for custom B mandrel thread. John is having some custom ones made that you can get both parts on. I think some are still available.

woodguy1975

Pleas remember that what I'm offering is just the shaft. For the double threaded shaft it will have a 1/4 x 28 thread that matches all the MT threaded adapters I know of. If you have a WC adjustable mandrel with the collet type of hold you can order a single threaded shaft and specify it turned down to 1/4".

Good Luck,

John

vick

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />So far every pen I've made has been done on a Woodcraft mandrel. I want to make some Berea and HUT kits which require either Berea's "B" mandrel rod or HUT's "Ameroclassic" mandrel rod. Can someone tell me if these are the same or do I need to buy one from each?

Thanks
They are the same as far as I know HUT pen kits and mandrels are Berea. Woodcraft kits are also mostly Berea however they make there own bushings that fit the 7mm mandrel. If you want to try any of the Berea kits that woodcraft happens to sell you can buy there bushings and turn them on your existing mandrel.

woodguy1975

Originally posted by vick
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />So far every pen I've made has been done on a Woodcraft mandrel. I want to make some Berea and HUT kits which require either Berea's "B" mandrel rod or HUT's "Ameroclassic" mandrel rod. Can someone tell me if these are the same or do I need to buy one from each?

Thanks
They are the same as far as I know HUT pen kits and mandrels are Berea. Woodcraft kits are also mostly Berea however they make there own bushings that fit the 7mm mandrel. If you want to try any of the Berea kits that woodcraft happens to sell you can buy there bushings and turn them on your existing mandrel.

He doesn't have a B size mandrel yet to do the WC, HUT, or Berea B kits. At least I think that is what he was talking about.

vick

No woodcraft kit takes a B mandrel. I was just pointing out if he wanted to he could do most of the kits that require a B mandrel on his 7mm mandrel by using WC bushings.

I personally do not use a B mandrel all of the kits that I make that require the B (elgrande, and series 2000 screw tops) I buy the bushings at the local woodcraft then order the kits from Mr Bill, or other supplier that is a lot cheaper than WC. Personally I think the B mandrel is a good idea but I just cant bring my self to buy it since I already have a bunch of 7 mm.

gerryr

My question may have been poorly worded. What I wanted to know was if I get a kit from Berea that requires a "B" mandrel rod and a kit from HUT that requires an Ameroclassic mandrel rod, do I need to buy a mandrel and rod from Berea and also one from HUT. I understand now that those two are the same diameter.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom