Mandrels for Beall Chuck & Collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The only places to get the "B" mandrel shafts are Berea resellers or direct from Berea. I have made a lot of pens using the cheapo Woodcraft mandrel shaft. The last "A" shaft I bought came from CSUSA because I was ordering a bunch of kits anyway.

I think the mandrel shafts are the same, only the MT adapter is different. If you're using a collet chuck, you only need the shaft, not the entire mandrel.

jdmyers4

Wouldn't a non-threaded shaft at one end, with a threaded shaft at the other for the kurl nut work better? The mandrels I have are threaded at both ends. A threaded end in the collet doesn't seem to fit as well as if it were a smooth shafted end. It seems like I read on this forum that people were suggesting a smooth shafted end to fit into the Beall collet.

John

gerryr

If you using a collect chuck, you need to put the mandrel shaft in the collet far enough that it is solidly gripping the non-threaded area. I only turn one barrel at a time so I usually only have about 3-4" of shaft sticking out of the collet. I switch to a regular mandrel for finishing.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
If you want to use a full length mandrel, here are links to both A and B mandrels. You definitely want the collet grasping non-threaded metal.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_42&products_id=115

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_42&products_id=116

FWIW,

jjenk02

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />If you using a collect chuck, you need to put the mandrel shaft in the collet far enough that it is solidly gripping the non-threaded area. I only turn one barrel at a time so I usually only have about 3-4" of shaft sticking out of the collet. I switch to a regular mandrel for finishing.

Gerry, I curious as to why you would only turn one barrel at a time, what is the logic behind it?[?]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Because you get to set it up twice you get to enjoy turning it longer.
Kind of like taking the top of an oreo cookie and eating both parts separately.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Why are the "precision" mandrel shafts $8.00 and the "high precision" mandrel shafts $5.00 at Bear Tooth Woods? See link above. Anyone know the difference?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by BRobbins629
<br />Why are the "precision" mandrel shafts $8.00 and the "high precision" mandrel shafts $5.00 at Bear Tooth Woods? See link above. Anyone know the difference?

The "precision" mandrels are threaded at both ends. Apparently the threading procedure raises the price.

Randy_

The precision mandrels are threaded on both ends and have flats milled on one end to facilitate tightening and loosening from the arbor. The high precision mandrels are threaded at only one end and have no milled flats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom