Mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Okay, folks, I've kept up with and read all the recent threads and posts on the different mandrel types, etc., but I don't know that I'm any smarter than I was before. In fact I may be more confused. At present I only have one, a PSI MT adjustable (collet type). It works well enough, but I need to buy a few more because as much turning as I'm doing one is obviously just not enough. The problem is that I still don't know which to buy. Do I spend the extra money and get one of the two threaded collet chucks or should I go with something else? I want the best option, but not because it costs more. What is truly the best and most accurate way to go? Please help straighten out my confusion.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andy Ryan

Check this out you may be surpised to hear the reasoning behind this guys selection.
http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/propenman/propenman1.html
I know I was.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Andy Ryan
<br />Check this out you may be surpised to hear the reasoning behind this guys selection.
http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/propenman/propenman1.html
I know I was.

I can't help much with selection. I use the basic MT2, 7mm mandrel from HUT and am satisfied. I may be able to answer the question about the extra nut. If used for turning duck or other game calls, use of the nut in place of the knurled knob allows trying the large barrel for fit over the stopper tenon instead of removing the whole works from the lathe. Of course, the tailstock must be slid back but that is still quicker than a take down and set-up again and risking getting the stopper back on non-concentric. The large barrel bore is 3/4" and will fit over the nut but not the knurled one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have the one in the article, the regular MT2 with a rod and have experimented with the Bralle Collet.
The professional is a pain to adjust, wrenches needed.
The Bealle is good for adjusting,but if you don't have a shorter tool rest the fact you can shrten the mandrel is moot in pen making.
I have never had a problem with the MT2 rods and adapters.
Iuse all three because I have morte than one pen working at a time, but if you have no use for the Beall sysytem(or others) other than pen making, $180.00 goes a long way in buying a lot of mandrels and adapters.
Just my take.

its_virgil

I have used every mandrel system available...from the ones that screw onto the headstock threads, the ones with MTs that are adjustable and those that are not, those that hold one pen blank and those that hold two, and mandrels in jacob chucks. I just recently purchased a Beall Collet Chuck and will not ever use another mandrel system. I have a box full if anyone wants to buy them. I took some mandrels off the other arbors and placed them in the Beall chuck and they ran true! I thought they were bent. WC has had some relaibility issues with their Pen Pro Adjustable mandrel but may have that worked out by now. I purchased the Beall Collet Chuck on the recommendation of a friend and have not looked back. It uses industry standard ER32 collets which are available from 3/32 to 25/32 in 18 different sizes. Whaterver I have needed to hold (various pen parts to modify) a collet has been available for it. I have seen the entire set of 18 collets for around $180 (thats $10 each) and I think WC's price for the collets is close to $21. Individual collets I've seen for as little as $9.50. I purchased the Beall Collet Chuck from WC and have purchased the collets online as needed. CS USA may now be selling the Beall Collet Chuck. The Axminister Collet Chuck has collets only up to 1/2 inch and I'm not sure if they are industry standard collets or not. I'll bet they are but I don't know which collet #...ER12, ER25, etc. They are not ER32's, but smaller. I guess by now you've guessed I like my Beall Collet Chuck...you're right. If you never plan on holding anything except a mandrel, then the Axminister may be the way to go. I think it is a little cheaper than the Beall.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

alamocdc

Thanks, guys, but all of this looks like so much of what I've already read. The mandrel I have is just like the one the article references, Andy, but is made by PSI. Like I said, it works well enough, but I just thought there might be something better out there, AND it won't take a "B" mandrel. Since I'm getting ready to buy more mandrels I wanted to see about getting the best (cost allowing, of course). One of the threads talked about the Bealle and Axminster types being more accurate since they screw onto the spindel. However, Frank (at least I think it was Frank) said he had trouble with his, but no one else has reported similar issues. I don't really want that same experience. Some have reported accuracy problems with MT mandrels. Sure, I'd like to stay as inexpensive as possible, but I'm more interested in the long term quality of my end product than saving a few bucks.

alamocdc

Thanks, Don, we were typing at the same time. The Axminster uses ER20 collets. I've been leaning toward the Beall, but have only seen a few that really sing it's praises (penturners that is).

mrcook4570

I cannot comment on the accuracy of the collet systems as I have never used them. I use MT mandrel and my results are good enough to keep me from spending $75+ on a collet chuck. There may be better deals out there, but the best that I have found is at http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=TK-PM and their arbor will accomodate either A or B mandrels.

darbytee

Billy, That was actually me that typed about the problem with my Axminster, not Frank. I think we've figured out (we being me and Nils and tech support from CSUSA) that the problem might be that the longer spindle on my Powermatic lathe doesn't let the chuck seat against the shoulder of the spindle, thus causing a wobble. We're going to try some washers to shim it and see if that fixes the problem.

dubdrvrkev

I just got three mandrels from WC since they are only $9.99 there and they had a sale when I was there for 15% off. They look identical to the CSUSA one I have down to the bushings they come with. Only difference is they are about 1/2" longer, and in my case they all run truer than the CSUSA one that I paid twice the amount for.

its_virgil

There are only a few that use it and the ones I know that use it really like it. If anyone out there has the Beall or Axminister Collet chucks and don't like either of them, speak up so we can all be informed. As for me and my shop, we will sing the praises of the Beall Collet Chuck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Thanks, Don, we were typing at the same time. The Axminster uses ER20 collets. I've been leaning toward the Beall, but have only seen a few that really sing it's praises (penturners that is).

Ryan

I have also bought the 9.99 mandrels from WC. I have also taken all of them back. One of them had almost 1/2 of wobble in it. Sounds like it is hit and miss with the pro pen mandrels.

Ryan

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />Sounds like it is hit and miss with the pro pen mandrels.

Could be. The first one I got back in Feburary is still the best of the bunch. But for the most part they do pretty well. The S/L bushing they come with are pretty nice though.

alamocdc

Sorry, Fred, at least it started with an FR. [:I] It's hell getting older. My rememberer don't work as good as it used to. [B)] And I'm sorry I falsely accused you, Frank! Thanks to all for the input so far. I'll keep checking this thread for updated info so I don't miss anything. Eagle told me of a place where I can get a Beall cheaper than WC... Hartville I think... anyway, if I decided to go that way I'll check the web site.

Stan, that web site you posted looks interesting enough. For roughly $20 plus shipping I could have a new arbor, A and B mandrels and Knurled nuts. That's cheap enough to gamble on maybe. Has anyone bought one of those?

mrcook4570

Those are the mandrels that I use. I have two arbors, a couple A's and a couple B's. All of my CSUSA and Berea bushings fit without a problem. I believe that the mandrels and arbors were manufactured by Berea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom