Mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter413

I am a newbie at this and now I am hooked. The question I have is how many people use the double mandrel. I have two mandrels and one is an adjustible. I seem to be getting alot of vibration in the pen blanks and alot of what I believe is whip. Is there something I am missing or should I start using a shorter mandrel and do just one part of the pen at a time.[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KKingery

I have both types of mandrels, (the adjustable), and the "fixed". Both seem to work equally well, but you might want to check out an article by Russ Fairfield about making sure your mandrel is straight. Your mandrel may have a slight bend in it, or you could be tightening your tailstock too tight, causing a slight bow in the mandrel, which will show up as "whip". I used his technique, and it sure solved alot of my problems. If I can find the link to the article, I'll come back and put it in a post for you.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Nice name! ;-)

The surest way to eliminate "whip" is to shorten your mandrel and turn only one barrel at a time. A lot of penturners do this. I don't. I like to be able to see the whole pen on the mandrel so I can visualize how it's going to turn out. So if you insist on using a long mandrel and turning both barrels at the same time, start by buying good mandrels from a reputable source. I usually get my mandrels from Berea, but lately I picked up one of the adjustable mandrels systems from Craft Supplies, and I like it real well.

The mandrel shaft might be bent a bit, and you can try to straighten it. Put your mandrel on the lathe and bring up the tailstock, but don't load any blanks. Turn on your lathe at a slower speed, and just barely touch the tip of your thumb on the spinning shaft. You should be able to tell if the shaft is bent. If it is bent, this is how I try to straighten it: With the lathe off, bring your tool rest up as clost to the mandrel as you can. Turn the spindle by hand and see if you can notice where it is bent in comparison to the tool rest. Another good way to see is by laying the tip of a pencil over your tool rest so it just slightly touches the shaft, and then turn by hand. Once you determine which way it is bent, you can gently push it back into line. Remember gently.

I hope this helps!

Scott.

woodscavenger

Silly question, but do you have the tailstock snug? If the mandrel is not bent you might want to check the alignment of your tailstock. I had an older lathe that I had tomake sure and pull the tailstock to the left when tightening it down or I would get an eliptical turning. Another thing that can affect it is your center. Some lathes come with a live center that has a very sharp tip with an acute angle that will not sit right in the end of your mandrel. You might need to get one of the 60 degree centers.

Fred in NC

The main link to Russ Fairfield's articles on pen making:

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

You will have to find the mandrel article from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom