Mandrel wobble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Ok I just bought a new Hut mandrel today because my other mandrel has a bad wobble on the tail stock end. If I put my lathe on low speed and slide my tail stock away from the mandrel the wobble is extremely noticeable. If I slide the tail stock up so it is just snug I still get a wobble but it is more in the center of the shaft.

I have done all the little things that I read from all the other post in my search. But no matter what I do I still have that wobble.
It is really annoying. Anyone know how to fix this and no I can't afford a beal collet chuck right now so i'm just trying to solve my problem with out spending more money. My lathe is a new Rikon 12 mini that I picked up at WC.

Thanks, Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loglugger

Dozer, check the morris taper and make sure it and the taper is clean, if clean and no burrs then take it back for another one. Try the new one before you take it home if you can.
Dario, I don’t think he can use that system if he is making slim line pens, if so please tell me how.
Bob

Randy_

Originally posted by loglugger
<br />Dozer, check the <b>morris</b> taper and make sure it and the taper is clean, if clean and no burrs then take it back for another one. Try the new one before you take it home if you can.
Dario, I don’t think he can use that system if he is making slim line pens, if so please tell me how.

Morse......

Dario

Originally posted by loglugger
<br />Dario, I don’t think he can use that system if he is making slim line pens, if so please tell me how.
Bob

With the regular bushings you cannot...BUT...if you are willing to make your own bushing, it will work...on any kit [;)] That said, I currently only use it on kits using bushings with "tenon".

Rifleman1776

HUT buys their mandrels from Berea. I had a defective Berea mandrel also. If it isn't true, send it back and request another. But do check your lathe first. Make sure the point of your tailstock aligns perfectly with the spur point on the headstock and neither wobble. A lathe that isn't true is a doorstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom