Mandrel system for closed end pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymiller

I saw that somebody here make and sells a system for making closed end pens. Is this necessary or just make it easier to turn. Can something else be used instead.

Thanks

Terry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I'm readin' too, I'm interested in hearing this. I have a few friends from another forum that use a pin chuck, I have yet to get info from them on how they use the bushing, or if they just use dial calipers to get the thickness right.

vick

It is not necessary. They are called pin chucks and they work great for closed end pens. I made sevral closed end pens before I had ever heard of a pin chuck though. That being said since I first used one it is the only method I now use.

terrymiller

So Vick how did you do it with out a pin chuck. Did you use a regular chuck or did You drill the blank and slip it onto the end of the mandrel. I was looking at the professional mandrel the other day at my local woodcraft store thinking this might work.

vick

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen61.html
http://www.penturners.org/content/SolidBodyEuroFP.pdf

Read these two links for ideas. The method I used was very close to the first one (Russ's). If you have any question feal free to post or email me.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Johnathan,

Both ways work. I agree that the pin chuck is the easier option to use. I bought mine from Fangar here on this site, and it is well worth the money in my opinion.

Good luck,

its_virgil

Here is a link to a great article on pin chucks on the Y! group. Hope it works for you. http://tinyurl.com/le8g5

For just a picture, look in Fangar's photo album here on IAP..He has an album of tools and has a picture of a pin chuck.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />Does anyone have any pics of the pin chuck.

vick

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005918201825_pinchuck.jpg
<br />

This is a picture of a pin chuck I made. Since then I found someone that makes them for me pretty cheap and I have them made for me.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I hete to tell you this because I know you are anxious to spend $200 for another tool; but a collet and pin chuck are conveniences, not a requirement.

You can do it all on a mandrel with the tailstock center replacing the knurled nut to hold everything together. The only difference is that you can't turn the end of the pen, and it will have to be trimmed and finished as the last step.

The advantage is that you can turn the entire pen (both barrels) at the same time.

Go to my website and look at the Long Line pen. That is a closed-end pen. The only difference is the length of the end.

There is also a detailed presentation of setting up the mandrel, turning, and finishing both the Long Line and a closed-end pen on my "Advanced Pencrafting" video.

vick

Most people have a Jacobs(drill)chuck which you can use instead of the collet chuck to hold the pin chuck. I had a machinist make up my pin chucks for about $5 a piece. So the cost to use a pin chuck does not have to be $200.
Though I have to admit I have purchased a collet chuck and once you do that and start getting the different sized collets costs can add up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom