Mandrel sizes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Mandrel sizes "A" "B" If I understand it correctly an "A" mandrel is about 7mm or there about in Dia. Also referred to a the small mandrel in some catalogs?

"B" mandrel is the larger mandrel is slightly larger in dia?

Now are there other names for them? or mostly "A" "B"is used?

Are there other mandrels sizes or do the bushings steps/tenons take care of the larger dia pens.

I am not referring to specialized mandrel sizes for other related items back scratcher's, scoops or stoppers.

:clown:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, you will only encounter "B" with a handful of Berea-made kits.

And MOST of their kits you can also find an "A" version of the bushings (or make them).

"B" is a little "heftier". (about 8mm, I am told)

randyrls

Are there other mandrels sizes or do the bushings steps/tenons take care of the larger dia pens.

Glen; The "A" or 7mm mandrels are technically the same size, you will find the PSI 7mm mandrels are slightly smaller than the Berea, and Woodcraft mandrels. I suspect it is just in how the mandrel size is spec'ed. ie the Woodcraft may spec at 7mm with a tolerance of -.000 +.001 The PSI may spec at -.001 +.000 This sometimes makes a difference with the bushings. The PSI bushings may be tight on a Woodcraft mandrel. I found this on several occasions. A quick session with sandpaper fixes things.

I now turn between centers for all my pens except Comfort.

PTsideshow

Ok that makes sense, looking at and measuring the size of them the two I have with the the few assorted bushings seem to fit on both. the only difference is the outside dia.
To bad the only packages clearly marked are the magnifiers and atomizer bushings, the smaller pen/pencil bushings are labeled X-lg pen, and then pen/pencil bushings. Glad there were only two sets in the box of pen turning items I bought! :biggrin:
But your answers removes another problem in choices for styles of kits. So many kits so many choices!
Thanks
:clown:

Top Bottom