Mandrel Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Preston

I am new to pen-turning. I have made a few pens that were slimline and European kits. I wanted to try some better kits. Here is what i don't understand. The kits i use require a 7mm drill bit. The other kits require a bigger drill bit. So do i have to have a bigger mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wright_714

I am pretty sure the diameter of the bushings are different sizes for different kits, but they will all fit the 7 mm mandrel. It is a bit confusing until you just try it, and then it makes sense. I tried my first cigar pen and had the same issues before I got started.

shawnmhill

No. 7mm is the standard through hole size for the majority of the pen kit bushings. They do make a 8mm but I have only seen a couple of kits which require this "non-standard" mandral.

So quick answer: No, you do not need additional mandrals. Have fun turning.

ldb2000

Berea uses a second mandrel size for a few of their kits (8mm or "B") but only ba few kits use it and there are clones of those kits made by other companies that use standard "A" mandrel bushings . Look at the chart on the front page to find out which bushings are the same .

Berea uses a second mandrel size for a few of their kits (8mm or "B") but only ba few kits use it and there are clones of those kits made by other companies that use standard "A" mandrel bushings . Look at the chart on the front page to find out which bushings are the same .

Actually, the "B" mandrel is just slightly larger than the "A"... enough to make the "A" mandrel bushings sloppy.... there is an 8mm mandrel... I have one, but haven't used it in years... think it's rusty now.

If you get your kits from most of the standard suppliers... CSUSA and PSI and their resellers, the standard 7mm mandrel is fine... Berea is the only supplier (and their resellers) that uses the "A" and "B" mandrels on some of their kits... usually, the catalog listing will tell you which mandrel you will need.

As mentioned, I now turn between centers, so my mandrels mostly languish in the drawer under the lathe.

ToddMR

I still consider myself a newbie at under 50 pens turned, almost there though. I was bombarded with TBC suggestions a couple weeks back. I wish someone had told me about it before at the beginning. Nice not having OOR turnings now. Or one side be paper thin the other side be thick etc. I have been TBC for a couple weeks now and love it so much!

Top Bottom